Just lost my second and third yard in 15 minutes!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Apr 27, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Well, it just keeps getting better. Got a phone call from a 6 years customer who is going in the nursing home due to sickness, 5 minutes later get a call from a new client that had the other "god of lawncare"that I posted about few weeks ago and she is going to let him start doing it again and he is 10 dollars higher than me. Lets see if I can get down to zero by dinner! ARGGHH!

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

dont abandon ship yet..... get out there and get new customers.... go door to door if you have to , but get them replaced...... now.... go ..... get on your shoes and leave the silly computer and get going..... you can do this..... sell sell sell smile smile and sell find a good neighboehood and get to it man..... :D

3. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

A while back I posted a thread about getting a 48" fixed belt drive mower for 1 client that I needed it for and another that I had just picked up.. Well it ends up the original guy dumped me so I would have not needed to get this new WB..... SUCKS!!!!!!! I now have to get get some business with some hilly yards to justify this WB.....

4. QualityLawnCare4u

Dont that make you feel good when you buy a piece of equipment and that happens!

5. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe it's just me, but I would have already taken the open spots left on my schedule by those accounts and found a neighborhood to canvas every week until those time slots were filled again. My wife and I have been talking to about 30 people per hour when we go knocking on doors. The way I see it, you've got an extra couple hours a week for marketing. Use them well.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

Pagefault, do you know how many flier/doors I have knocked on? "Sorry, we have someone or we will let you know"! Im not much on door to door but have done it this year out of shear desperation. Thanks anyway.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

your never going to fill your schedule sitting ifront of your pc,.,...

yes im still here but im at work, i leave at three and start cutting then.... you shoud be out working on getting customers...

i ws just trying to give you the old college pep talk :)

8. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear that.

I would disagree that talking to a potential customer is an act of desperation. People on this site will hang 1,000 door hangers to get a handful of calls. In the same time, I can knock on 100 doors and immediately talk to 30 people. Last weekend I helped a guy fix his mower and a swore he was going to tell his friends to call me. Maybe he will and maybe he won't but if I keep getting out there and I keep having those sort of encounters, it will pay off. It's just a numbers game.

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Why dont you try just putting ads in the local newspapers. It shouldnt be hard to pick up a few accounts like that.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

Been running one for past 5 weeks, had one call for a one time leaf cleanup job they wanted done.