Just made about 30 phone calls to local businesses

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JeffNY, Apr 3, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

about twenty of them would like for me to submit a bid. I never expected that, I just made alot of work for myself. I've never written a bid before, and never quoted anyones lawns.
    I really don't want to screw myself here by lowballing everything. This isn't easy.
    Wish me luck. I plan on calling about 50 more places tmr.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

so you are saying that you have no experience and you are going to try to go bid commercial properties?

3. JeffNY

Gotta start a few somewhere, commercial wise. I've done residential already, just feels like commercial bids are a slightly bigger step

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Know your costs, know what you want to profit, what's the problem??

Look the areas over carefully: trash? traffic? parked cars? low to the ground windows? ...those kind of things must be considered and priced.

They're just like individuals, cost conscious - and many LCOs work cheaper - I won't.

5. DrGreenThumb

DrGreenThumb LawnSite Member

Why don't you handle what you have now and try getting more later you should be able to land at leas 3 of the properties that you have to make bids on, good luck.

6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a no brainer just be cheaper then the last guy you will get every account. Commercial is the easiest thing in the world to get. If the last guy was 25 a cut just say 20 its yours. Have fun bidding these cheap places and adding all the extra insurances needed to land them as they except the cheapest price with the most insurances requirments.:hammerhead:

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

that is a 100% accurate statement, the only way to beat that is when someone who really cares about service and quality is in charge but for the most part commercials only care about the price.

8. JeffNY

I can't tell if this is a joke er not, I don't wanna be that guy that under bids everyone, maybe a couple to get my foot in the door. Its not common to ask what their lowest bid is right? Id feel like a scumbag. Just going to have to take a good walk around the properties and use my head.

9. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I think you should look at the properties, then write out a detailed proposal and submit all of your references,copies of Biz Lic, Liability Insurance and Workmans comp as well as Your Pesticide Applicators #. Presenting these will help to set you apart from the other calls they are receiving offering a free estimates.

10. JeffNY

Good idea, I have a copy of the biz license, I have a copy of all my insurance stuff, 99% sure theres no need for workmans comp, and we're not jumping into pesticides yet.
    Thanks for the tip