Just mowed my first lawn!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hardwareman, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Hardwareman

Hardwareman LawnSite Member

Well my wife and I just mowed our first lawn. It was roughly 20ftx20ft and took all of 10 minutes! We only charged $10.00 dollars for it but it was fun. I sure hope we can get more today!

There were a lot of yards that needed lawn maintenance but no one seemed to be home (wish I still had my job but got laid off), so I ran home real quick to print out some flyers to leave at the homes where no one was.

Man I hope this goes well. It seems like there is definitely money to be made in this trade so long as you build up your clients.

Well off I go! Wish me luck! Later!

Allen

2. chrisludwig

chrisludwig LawnSite Member

I recommend that when you talk to each of your clients and they let you know you did a good job...ask for a referral on the spot. I used to tell my customers I would give them a free cut for every referral they gave me that stayed with me over 3 months. (the 3 months catch is to keep them from referring people who dont really want a lawn service but she wanted a freebie) Worked like a charm. One lady got me her whole street.

Hope this helps a little,

3. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

$10 for 10 mins work.

2 people = $5 each

After tax you are getting $3 for 10 mins work. That means $18 per hour. And you still have to pay for your fuel, licences, truck, the flyers you were just making...

You may want to rethink how much you charge. Set up a minimum charge. Because at $18/hour you might last in the business 2 months tops.

Good luck

4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

but before doing that, i would recoment making your business legit first.

5. lawnguy268

lawnguy268 LawnSite Member

Is this post a joke??

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

7. Hardwareman

Hardwareman LawnSite Member

Just got home from doing a couple more $10 dollar lawns and passing out a ton of flyers. Getting quicker at it too. The last $10 dollar lawn took less then 5 minutes!
    It's my wife that I'm working, and we are just testing waters right now really. Believe me, if it's not self sufficient for me to do this, I'm outie! Actually I just left a small apartment complex and spoke to the manager about the lawn on the pemises. He said "we already have someone who's supposed to start here soon" so then I asked "how much"?

He then replied "$500 a month", so I told him if it does'nt work out to give me a call and I'll do it for $450 a month. He actually said he may call me back just because he liked the way I carried myself and approached him.

As for getting legit, I plan on going down to the courthouse sometime next week and applying for the license to do business within the city limits. It's like $20. If all goes well then I'll actually apply for a tax number with the IRS.

I'm going back out tomorrow for a bit to see how things may pan out so I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for any advice and support you have given.

Allen

8. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

9. daveintoledo

10. daveintoledo

either your a troll, or have absolutly no clue and will have some troubles....