Just mowed my first yard!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 17, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

First of all, this forum is the best thing that ever happend to people that desire to learn more about the businees side of lawn care. I have avoided uncountable errors thanks to the sage advise listed here.

What great feeling coming home today knowing that I made over $200 on my own in under 5 hours. The pride that i can see on my family's faces, priceless.

To anyone thinking about getting started in this biz, dont give up. I knocked on over 75 doors today and got everything from doors slammed to lemonade. It takes perseverance and (I relaized today) a great sence of humor. You would be amazed at some of things thta people say! LMAO

Long winded, but just wanted to say thanks for sharing.
  2. Great feeling to earn $ that doesnt come from a paycheck.
    So tell us the stories of going door to door.
  3. You have never mowed grass before today?;) J/K

Persistance is a good tool in building a clientel.

Keep it up and give some more detailes.
  4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you can deal with the ups and downs of this biz you'll do just fine.
    Stick with it.:D
  5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

hope you're getting in on the right foot, licenses (if needed) taxes, insurance, etc........

all it takes is 1 little incident and it can all come crashing down on you.

do great work, be on time and all should go well!

good luck!
  6. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

Keep those aggressive shoes on, I have never gone door to door
    but I might try it next week.....

Like captdevo said make sure you are insured.......
    doesnt cost a whole lot to get started......

:blob3: yahoo for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Toatlandscape

Toatlandscape LawnSite Member

There is nothing like the feeling of some paying you their hare earned money for your hard work.

Good luck:)
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Go cat, GO! :D

Good luck to you!
  9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how you guys do this door-to-door stuff? I can honestly say that I have not made one unsolicited sales call. I rely on newspaper adds. I might talk to a neighbor of an account I already have if they're out in their yard, but I never go knocking on doors. I guess it's because I don't appreciate anyone knocking on my door without an appointment (my property is posted and I'll call the cops if you do come to my door), it's a long shot to get business that way, and most people don't want to be bothered at their homes.
  10. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

Holy cow,,, you talk as if it offfended you that he did that,, i guess i would say i would'nt like being your neighbor,,,, man,,, i have never seen any put someone down for doing something that is greeted with a nice smile for their hard work,,,