1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. executive property maintenance

executive property maintenance LawnSite Member

is it crazy to just start out mowing and raking or are most cust. going to want tree/bush trimmed mulch spread etc... or can i get by a season or 2 just mowing and raking leafs i plan on keeping full time job untill i can build customer basic i will slowly cut my hours back at full time employer and mow full time instead and plow in winter and i dont want to invest more time and money into something i find does not support my family thanks in advance for any and all input
  2. chrisg88

chrisg88 LawnSite Member

well, i've been in the industry for 4 years now, and pretty much all i do is general lawn maintenance (mow, trim, edge, blow). Occasionally I do a little bit of landscaping.

For now, you're good just mowing. If you ever want to get serious about your business, and your money, then you'll need to invest in landscaping, IMO.
  3. chrisg88

chrisg88 LawnSite Member

it'll be hard to make a decent living for the first couple of years however. so keep a job while you grow your business!!
  4. MO TOYS

MO TOYS LawnSite Member

Just remeber the occasional landscaping job can be some well needed cash
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to build a customer base by just mowing but I have gained several customers by doing a mulch job or hedge trimming job and the customer calling next season to have the lawn done.
  6. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

:) Thats the way I started, real basic. Do what your good at and do it well and then build from there. Don't jump out spend a ton of money on fancy equipment so you can do everything there is in landscaping. It won't work and you wouldn't make much money if you did. Gain confidence and knowledge in the business and you will progress.
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

when we started our base and main income was lawn maint. but we slowly grew and did a little more mulch and trees and other small jobs now grass is done by a crew and we do mainly "jobs" if you will