Just Mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by weathervane, Mar 26, 2007.

1. weathervane

weathervane LawnSite Member
    from mass

I Was Wondering If Any One On This Site Does Just Mowing? If So Do You Turn A Good Profit?
  2. RandyS

RandyS LawnSite Member

It's hard to do the just mowing thing. At least around here. Sooner or later a customer asks if you can do this or that and if you say no the next guy will say yes. And by the way, he also mows.
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Theres way to much competition around here just to rely mainly on mowing.
  4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Justmowit out of Dallas and now Austin is making a killing mowing, low prices, no BS. Check him out.
  5. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I started out just mowing in my rookie years. But after awhile I figured out that you can possibly make more money than mowing doing odd jobs for customers.
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

you can certainly make more doing work other than mowing. but average it all out i still think i make more per hour mowing. i do alot but wish i could just sit on a mower all day.
  7. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

but this year I've added the "bush and flowerbed" services....and I'll bring the mulch (no takers yet). I don't make as much since I don't cut (unless I have to). But our season is only about 6 months and I look at it as a side business and pocket cash. I work full-time somewhere else. Last year was my first year hiring someone to cut yards for me....made some money. Based on last year I'm looking to make between 15-20 grand in profit (unless I try to pay off the miniZ in one season) this year.

8. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i feel that same, but at the end of the day you really have to be able to provide your clients with all services, thats why i cant figure out how people get away with just mowing, what about cleanups, plowing were needed and mulch? i know that if i told any of my clients i cant do that or i dont have the tools for that, the next guy will be there the following week, not me!
  9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Nitro, you make 15-20 grand Gross or Net? just mowing part time? Are you legit, or just 'doing it on the side'?????????????
  10. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

last year I made right around 9 grand. I just mow...legit, pay taxes...signs on truck, t-shirts, separate phone line, webpage, just ordered gopher software and got quickbooks this year. But I mismanaged the whole thing..didn't have people in place and couldn't get to yards quick enough and stuff and lost a lot of accounts by hiring 2 lazy employees....nice but stressing learning experience.

I already have my full time guy waiting to start in the next week or so and have my part timer from last year ready to hit the weekends. So I'm farther ahead than where I started last year. I mean I could fall flat and just cut on the weekends again w/ a helper but it seems like I'll make what I would have made busting my butt on the weekends. And I pay my guy to cut my 3 acres for about 15 bucks..and I'm not out there for the hour and a half. :clapping: