1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Apr 25, 2004.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

How many of you out there just mow lawns? I know some equate that with being a bad thing, but I always found it paid better for me than the other stuff when you accurated factored in the drive time, rest time, etc required doing more physical work. I mostly got requests for just that, with only about 10% of my revenue being non-mowing/leaf cleanup type work. A whole lot of my customers didn't mind working in their yards, they just didn't want the drudgery of weekly mowing. A yard I could do in 30 minutes might take them 2 hours or more.

Here in S. Florida, where things tend to grow a little faster, I wonder if that would fly.
  2. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

99% of my work is straight mowing....I like it becuase it is routine and easily scheduled (no worries about constantoly switching equipment and If I depended on income from other sources I'd constantly have to look for new jobs as I finished the previous ones...with mowing it's the same thing over and over again from April 1 until
    Dec 20....Steady and a good moneymaker w/ no equipment switchout rpobelems or troubles. As a side benefit I really like mowing too!
  3. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Ooops I meant November 20 not Dec 20
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think just straight mowing-edging-trimming is a viable business plan, but you will occasionally lose business when someone decides they want landscape maintenance as well.

I hear different things about the services that return the most per-hour receipts, but my impression is that mowing is a good way to build a foundation for getting into things like landscaping. Not that it's critical, mind you, but a good way to get going.

Some say chemicals are a superb source of revenues, others insist there's more money in snow removal. Commercial parking lot clean-up? I have no idea. I'm just keeping my eyes and ears open.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do mowing, and apps of fertilizer and chemicals. I could get by with just mowing, since my customers had all used Chem-Lawn before. I did just fine with the mowing, but figured I might as well try fert and chemicals too. Get more work out of the current customers rather than more customers.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

thanks for taking the time to reply, guys. I really enjoy the mowing end of it, for the reasons mentioned above like ease of scheduling, the routine nature of it, etc, but also because I just enjoy it and it's a lot less physical in nature, which is important now that I'm getting older.

Trying to put myself in a customer's shoes....If I wasn't in this business.....my 2.5 acre property would take at least 3 hours to mow/trim/edge/blow with typical home user equipment. That's a huge chunk of time for someone with a 9-5 job to invest EVERY week. I also have about 2 hours of shrub work that needs doing maybe 8 times a year, and another 12 hours or so of misc. work like mulching, weeding, etc. Spread out over the year, that's only about 30 minutes a weekend, a lot more palatable. So I guess I can see why there's a market for mow-only businesses out there. A homeowner can always put off the other work till he has free time, but the grass needs mowing weekly most of the year, ready or not.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have really cut back this year on the landscaping aspect. I would personally love to cut landscaping installation all together. Mowing is simple and easy to schedule compared to other services
  8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

85% of my business is cutting, I do other things just to supplement the cutting and increase revenue, but as most of you have already said, it's the easiest part of this business as far as equipment & scheduling go, and you can make a living if you are a worker & mover.
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would personally just like to mow but my commercial properties and some residential customers have me doing alot more. With my commercials, it's part of my contract to do other things beside mowing. Some of my residential customers also ask me to do some extras for them, at an additional cost of course. Unfortunately if I restricted myself to mowing only, I don't think I would have the business I have today.
  10. tonystoysrv

tonystoysrv LawnSite Member

Our business is 90% mowing and I enjoy it that way.
    Easy to schedule. Always have the right equipment on the trailer,etc.