1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Just not enough Money

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by No Lawncares, Apr 12, 2005.

1. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

Well guys I'm now starting my second season in this business, and to tell you the truth, I'm already thinking of getting out. People just seem to believe we should mow and take care of their lawns for free. With all the low ballers out there it is hard to even make a buck, I make more money cleaning up rentals for a partner of mine, and I spend half the time doing it.

2. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

well your mowers are not ZTR

because if your only using walkers
    your screwed period...........

i only use gravely pm 260, 60" cut ~~~ 2 - diesel bought last year
    1 - pm 260, 60" cut gas purchased 2 wks ago

i have 77 lawn sites that i mow
    plus, aeration, dethatching, fertilizing, grass seed, lime, corn gluten meal
    spring & fall clean ups

payup payup payup payup payup payup payup payup

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

really, ive gottn 8 new accounts this week, because the other guy uses "one of those big commercial mowers" and the old ladies dont like that, same price as the other guy, just smaller mower, he is loosing his customers to me because he refuses to use small mowers on small residential lots...

so its all relative, him not haveing a ztr is not relivent to his lack of success....

4. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

It has nothing to do with me not doing great. The problem is when you add gas price, insurance, maintence to equipment, time and ware n tear on equipment, I can make more working for a friend of mine. I also dont have to work so much. I will always keep my accounts I like and there are 5 or so but I can do them at night. Also I do not have a ztr, what I have is gravely 36 wb, gravely 48 wb, 2 21 inch mowers, 2 trimmers, 1 blower, and misc other items.

I guess my point is people in my area are cheap and if I cant get more accounts in an area I'm in trouble. Alot of my accounts are spread out and you lose so much time and money, Driving.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

things are very tough in ohio and michigan, i hope things go well for you....

6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

No lawncares, Lets think about this. If you have been in this for 2 years and you already have all your equipment paid for, accounts do make some money and you pick up a few more every year your still making more than you would than a part timer at k-mart besides your your own boss! Give it time things will get better.

7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

It can be a tough row to hoe, I guess there are two solutions. Sounds like you aren't in love with this job anyway so for some people getting out may be a good idea. On the other hand, if you like what you are doing and make a niche for yourself whether it's a unique service or just mowing better than the next guys by attention to detail etc. than it can be a profitable venture. You just have to compare aples to apples. It sounds like you are not lowballing which can make it harder to obtain customers but, if you are providing a better service there is a certain clientele that will notice that. Unfortunatly, it takes a little lonnger to build a customer list by word of mouth than the method that most here today, gone tommorrow contractors use which consists of "sir, how much you paying to get that done, ..... well I can do it $10 cheaper". I would say struggle it out and stick to your guns or get out without falling victim to the lowball method.

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you answered your own question, if your stuff is paid for and hopefully you have an enclosed trailer, do the following:

Stock up on all your stuff for the rentals that you do, cleaners, rags, etc....

You pull up to the place, get your inside cleaning done, then sell the outside clean-up, mowing, weeding, mulch....whatever.

I have rental property, and when people leave, everything from front to back, top to bottom needs freshing up......don't give up, its yours!!

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how much are you making a day doing lawncare? how much doing the other thing? if you can't clear at least $1000 a week doing lawncare, as a small solo op, you must be doing something terribly wrong. i do that working 6 hr days

10. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

right now i just want 15 yards a day 5 days a week at $30 a week and do it all by myself and make $2200 a week and only have a 36 wb 2 trimmers 2 blowers 1 21" mower 5x10 trailer and a 4 cyclinder ranger 5-spd. After i get those dont advertise and no need for a secretary after i get the accounts regular cust will just leave a message or call my cell and i could do this in 6 hours and have the customer put check under the door mat. DO that for 7 months and rest for the next 5 months.