1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Not Sure Need Advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RPM1, Nov 22, 2006.

1. RPM1

RPM1 LawnSite Member

I am new to the mowing industry not sure what direction to go with my business i need to find a way to attract good respectful clients whether it be commercial or residential , i do not have alot of experience and looking for some guidance to get me going in the correct direction, the mowing business seems to be pretty cut throat and i do not like that, (i just do not want to mow grass to say i mow grass) besides everybody on here is in this business to make money i just do not want to work my tail off to get to the end of the week to find i really did not make anything for all my efforts
  2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

1. Quality work ( word of mouth referals)
    2. do not lowball
    3. advertise (Flyers, post cards, door hangers)
    4. stick to your price
    Hope this helps
    Good Luck
  3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Residential is a good place to start as commercial jobs may be hard to get at first. Once your name is established, you shouldn't have any trouble getting commercial jobs.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Let your customers know that you are looking for new clients all the time...offer some incentive for referrals of some sort. If you do good work and your customers like you they will try to help you out (some of them anyway)

Just be on the ball so to speak...there are a million companies cutting grass...make sure you return all phone calls same day and in general make it seem like you know what you are doing (not implying that you don't)
  5. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Do not get discouraged, Do quality work and the word will spread!
  6. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Everything in life is the same. You get out, what you put in. Good Luck.
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

that is what i was saying in another thread .... around here anyway, just being out there working and being seen, on residentials, has gotten me some commercial work..

guy drives by and sees me doing a property in has neighborhood, stops ask me if id like to bid on a group of 34 homes that are being built.....he said i obviously had the equipment to get the job done, wiould i like to bid on the job.....:)

ended up with the clients two other commercial properties....not sure if i will get the homeowners asociation yet, but bee seeen, and you will get offers, im sure you do great work and it will be a better year in 07
  8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

WORD OF MOUTH!!! It is the only way to reach quality clients. Remember that most people who are calling you have had another service prior to you. There are 2 reasons that people will change their situation.

1. The company is not meeting their standards

2. They are not meeting the company's standards

They were a PITA to someone or someone was a PITA to them. Either way, a good pre-screening method is advised.
  9. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i love cutting grass and just looking at the finished lawn or project saying "damn..that looks good"

personally i think that is worth far more than the money that i was paid to do it...but hey...money is money my friends..that will never change payup