1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just noticed both gas containers stolen!

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by green-pa, Jun 26, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I had 2, 2 gallon containers which I just filled ( $18) and someone stole them from the back of my truck. I'm not sure if it was when I ran in and took a pee at the station or at my customer's house. I know I checked on my trimmer as I always do and put the blower in the cab. This is the first time I've ever had gas stolen. Makes me wonder if anyone's tried to syphon out of my truck. Really pisses me off. Wish they would've been 1/2 full, not so bad. Wish I knew who did it and then I could sucker him with some gas that would mess up whatever he's using it on. What a punk/s! :realmad::gunsfirin

What do u guys do to protect your containers, cause I'm sure I'm not the only one who this is happenning to. I guess I could get some kinda cage or just lock em to something with a cord through em. Sucks that it has to be this way.
  2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Uuh, bike lock maybe? One of those cables that's about a foot long with a padlock on the end - that would probably work.
  3. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 15' krypton cable that I run through my pusher, cans and blower.
  4. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont have to worry about that here, but if you wanna have a good time, make our same trip with un locked up cans, except mess with the gas. put in a little water or something ;). also did you consider the possibility that it could have bounced out of your trailer?
  5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

6. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Hey...I'm in Salem just east of you and they're stealing gas around here...last night's channel 9 news had a bit about gas being stolen in Hampton Falls NH...and a couple of guys were walking slowly by my house this morning...they went by and then came back...when I questioned them they said they'd "run out of gas and were checking to see if their buddy was home up the street...very suspicious to me. I lock everything up and have security motion lighting. It CAN and WILL happen when you least expect it...
  7. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

"I'm not sure if it was when I ran in and took a pee at the station"

Any video cameras at the station?
  8. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey GreenPa,

Where do you think this happened. I think I cut in the same areas as you. I would just like to know whereabout you were.
  9. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I keep my cans in my enclosed trailer know that i had my 2gallon can stolen last week, But theirs a twist i think you all will like! The can that was stolen out the back of my truck was an old can that i hit with my mower and put a small hole in it up by the top so now instead of using it for gas i washed it out and starting storing water in it just in case i ever needed for my truck. Well on the day it was stolen, i was at a customers house that is a 2 acre account and mid way through i had to pee really bad so i booked it up to the truck and grabbed that 2gallon can and went into my trailer and closed the door and well you can figure out what i did.... so i put the can back into the back of the truck and figured i would dump it out when i got home so know one would think i was dumping gas on a lawn. Heres the good part at some point during the remaining stops i made someone snatched that can! when i got home i noticed that it was missing and started laughing!!!!! Some ****** bag thought they pulled a fast one.. Ha...Ha.. wait till they go to use what they thought was GAS.....I hope they spill it on themselves. So I told myself if pee + water is worth stealing, then what would free gas be worth. Now because of this i keep all my cans in my trailer.
  10. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

I want to know also.

Can you get a cover for your bed? If your bed has tie loops get a cheap backet that the cans fit tight in, then run a cable lock to the tie loops.