Just Ordered Exmark Lazer HP 52"/23Kaw. Should I have bought Scag? Please respond!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KB, Feb 9, 2001.

1. KB

KB LawnSite Member

I went to my dealers annual Pro Day which was bigger and better than ever this week to put in my order on an Exmark Lazer HP 52"/23HPKawasaki. I had my mind made on this because I am apart timer, cut only residentials, and owned Exmark walkbehind which I was very satisfied with. My dealer started selling Scag this year. While talking with one of the salesman who has ALWAYS been a Exmark fan, he was telling me all of the advantages of the Scag over the Exmark. He said that I would have a great mower with either, but made several points about how the Scag was built better and would actually cut better in certain situations because of its deck design. I stuck with my guns and bought the Exmark, but he made me wonder if I had really bought the better mower. They were priced basically the same. What do you think?

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark all the way!! I have that same machine, runs great and cuts better. Don't doubt your choice, because you made the right one. Only problem I had with my laser is that stupid plastic oil drain plug which I had changed!!

3. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I'm picking up the same machine tomorrow. Scag is overpriced, they have a small dealer network, and they have had problems with their hydro's. I spoke to a guy who carries Scag and Ransomes. He said the guy who started Ransomes sold it and then started Scag. Scag is just an overpriced version of a Ransomes mower. Ex-mark is still my #1 choice for commercial mowers.

4. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I've had Scags for the last 10 years and have never had much of a problem with them. They are built like tanks. Last year, my dealer also started carrying Exmarks. The guys I like to talk to are the mechanics. The guys at my dealer say that the Exmarks are much easier to repair than the Scags. The quality of cut is equal to or better than the Scags. I'm in the market for a new machine this spring and will most likely buy an Exmark. I think that the Exmark is a good choice.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

you bought the right mower-dontthnk for a minute that the scag is better.Your cut is better,your hydros are much better along with no gear boxes to maintain/fix.

6. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

KB, Who is your dealer?

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

From what I have read about both here in the past almost 2 years, you made the right choice with the Exmark.

8. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Exmark all the way. It is simply a better product. Maybe the sales guy you talked to got higher commission off the scag sale of something, either that or he is on crack.

9. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

out of curoisity - not trying to start an arguement - how many of you that talk bad of the scag have actually owned one. I could run side by side any exmark any day of the week with my 61" turf tiger. I also have a exmark 36" walkbehind and have mowed with the ztr's. It aggravates me that some people are so educated on how sorry a product is, but yet they have never owned one or even tried one.

oh by the way- you did get a good mower- I hope it will give you thousands and thousands of hours use.

[Edited by MIDSOUTH on 02-09-2001 at 02:10 PM]

10. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I second that. Scags have always been reliable. Half of the decision should be made around who will do the service and what kind of service. Since my dealer carries both Scag and Exmark I know what the service will be. If I had to go across town to a guy that doesn't get me in and out like I'm used to then that guy would be at a disadvantage with me. If both machines were equal, then service would be the deciding factor. If service is equal then cost and performance would be a factor. I can get both Scag and Exmark from the same dealer with the same service. I can buy Exmarks for less than the Scags. The mechanic tells me he can repair the Exmarks faster. The engines are the same.