1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

just ordered my quick 36! need advice on 21 inch.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Houstonguy, May 14, 2008.

1. Houstonguy

Houstonguy LawnSite Member

Ok so I got everything I need. I got my rakes, shovels, brooms, hedgetrimmers all the little stuff, trimmer, edger, blower, and now mower! The only thing I feel im missing is a good quality 21". I want this for back up and for places the 36" doesnt fit. I will be starting off doing all residential with the exception of these 10 gas stations I landed a couple of days ago:). I hadnt even officaily started and I got me a commercial account. Granted the bid was low for a commercial account but I will still make money. Well im kind of worn out on researching equipment and I will pretty much buy the popular vote right now on the 21"

On a side note, I went out looking for a stihl br420 because I heard good things about them and got one but when I got home I noticed it said br420 magnum. I did some research and only found info on the br420 c magnum, but mine isnt the br420 c magnum. I checked all the tagging on it and the ones with the c say it on there but mine just says magnum. I know what the br420 c is, it is a model with a catlytic converter for lower emisions if im not mistaken. any help will be appreciated. Oh yeah and excuse the bad spelling and grammer but it is far too late (1 am) for me to be worrying about that right now. thanks for all the help everyone.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If you are pinched for cash take a look at the Snapper Commercial 21" great mower and great price. If you have extra to spend (About $300-$500 more) look at the Exmark and Toro 21".
  3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I second that Snapper 21 vote
  4. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

I think the C is for California emissions regulations, so don't sweat it. If you're strapped for cash, Sam's Club has a nice Honda on sale for 260(i think). It's worth looking into.
  5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro 21" proline or Snapper will serve you well.
  6. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats a snapper 21" go for
  7. Houstonguy

Houstonguy LawnSite Member

you kind of took the words out of my mouth supper grassy. I would also like to know what model snapper you guys are talking about? I would like to keep it under $700. I dont know if this falls under strapped for cash or not, I've seen some commercial push mowers for over 1k. thanks for the help on the blower paulup.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Get the snapper pro hi vac with the kawasaki engine for around $800. They are great mowers.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

What part of houston do you work in?
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

For the first year, I would suggest just going to Lowe's and get a Troy-Bilt 21" machine for $ 300 ... then next year after you've got some money in the bank you can get a commercial 21" unit !! The Troy-Bilt 21" will hold for the first year.