Just ordered my Walker today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like they had the one i wanted in stock at the main distributor, my dealer is picking mine and a few others up on Sunday. I decided in the 20hp. 48" ghs with low profile tires, single rear wheel and a $200 upgrade to the 'comfort cloth seat' The seat is on back order from the maker, so i will use the black vinyl for a while. I also opted for the 7.0 bushel box because the 9.5 is really tall once you put the All Seasons Catcher Lift under it. The lift is $2750 and everyone around here has them. I am not, however putting it on right away b/c of the cost issue. I'm going to see how it goes dumping into bins of some sort and dumping those in the truck.

The price: 7,900+200 (seat) =8100.00+tax

the 26efi 48" was only $800 more, but i'm probably only going to bag, no mulching. So i didn't feel the extra power was really necessary.

Wish me luck guys!
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've never run a Walker with a 20 hp motor so I don't know how to compare it against the 26 EFI.

I will say this mine with the 26 EFI has never lacked for power.

I'm sure you'll love it. Walkers are the bomb.:blob3: :blob1: :blob4:
  3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck with your new machine.I just started using mine this week and love it. I thought all the new walkers came standard with the 9.5 bushel box and two rear wheels....guess i was wrong. I went with the 26 HP FI motor for a few reasons. I believe a bigger motor will last longer under the same conditions,and the EFI will save you fuel too. Also a 26 HP FI walker is faster and will not clog like a 20 HP walker will. You got a great price.mine was $9270 w/o tas but I went with HD gear boxes which were an extra $300.
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Go with the duel rear wheel set up for 2 reasons. #1, A single rear wheel will leave more pivot damage than two wheels because its wider and has more flat surface on the ground. #2, When you get a flat with one rear wheel your stuck. With two wheels you can still move with one flat. Its easy to get flat tires in the rear when you can't see just where the wheels are going.

With the High Lift system on your Walker you will lose 50 per-cent of your traction on slopes because the extra higth offsets the weight distribution. I had one and took it off after only 3 days of use. If you have mostly flat ground you will love it.

5. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Gene or anyone else,what is the high lift system you are talking about? Also,does anyone have a seat with arm rests on them?I am always looking for a place to rest my arms on.
  6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I also was wondering what the high lift system is. For trailering?
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The All Season Catcher Lift System is sissor type lift that mounts under the catcher and lifts the catcher up to dump into a truck with out getting off the Walker. The unit adds about 4" of higth and about 50 lbs of weight to the Walker. Its a sweet unit on flat ground. Back up to the truck, flip the switch, in less than 2 minuets its dumped and your ready to go again.

I hate arm rests, they are always in the way for me. I have them on my Hustler. My lead man loves them and uses them all the time.

8. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Two quick questions for you. First, uhhhhhh whatcha doing with that lift unit you took off???? Would be an interested buyer here if'n its just taking up space in the garage. Let me know.

Two, with that high lift kit, do you have a problem with the grass being stuck in the hopper. I know that my walker packs the grass soooo tight some times that you have to bang the sides, shake it and sometimes pick at it just to get it to come out. Now how do you go about doing that when its 9 feet in the air hanging over a truck??? Just curious if this is a problem with those units??

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for the replies so far! The rear wheel issue, going single from the standard double is a preference of many of my dealers customers. they say the opposite is true: that the doubles tear b/c of the opposing rotation sometimes...i don't know, i may rethink it before they switch it out

On the 7 bushel catcher, i tried the 9.5 and it is just too big when you add the 4" of the lift under it. it puts the top of the box about even with the back of my neck, and i'm 6'5"! makes clearing low branches tough. And about the stability issue, i do alot of ditches but other than that it's mostly flat, a couple of the lawns i do now were previously done with walkers with catcher lifts. some of the slopes on this one lawn are even tough for my Dixon, and he always had no problem. (i found out my 50" Dixon out climbs the 52" exmark!) lol...

20hp machines are nearly all my dealer sells, and he sells about 30 or so a year. he said he special ordered a 26efi last year, but that was because another dealer convinced him he had to have it. someone said the 26 would clog less than the 20 because it was faster??? how is this possible? don't the engines all turn at the same rpm's? i usually speed mine up a bit anyways, really helps the performance on the dixons.

keep 'em coming guys!
  10. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

that seems like a good deal

My local dealer wants $9375 before tax for the 20 hp
    48 with 9.5 bushel.

I think I will look elsewhere before I get taken.

He wants 10,500 for the 26efi