just ordered tires, should i have gotten tubes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, May 12, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

i've never replaced my tires but i've had a leak and the tread is low so i ordered 4 new ones, was i suppose to get tubes to go in them?? i kinda feel like i should have...would a local tire shop have tubes or not? thanks for the help....

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Most rims are meant for tubeless tires. You could always have the tubes on hand in case of a flat. BUT,you have to take the stem out of the rim. After that you have to stay with tubes or replace the stem. Just for the record...I have had flats in the drive tires on my ZTR,taken the tires in for a boot or patch. Most cannot be fixed with a boot. I've plugged 'em before,but that does not always mean a permanent fix.
    The last set of 4 plys I bought for my Viper (rears) were $79.00 each.

3. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what do the tires go on.I always use tubeless tires.The only reason you need tubes is when the tire goes bad and you want to keep using it.

4. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

i think the guy that had the mower before me must have tubed the tire....i ordered tubless and just assume use them, what is required to get another stem for it to make it tubless??

5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Go to any auto parts store and buy a stem. I prefer to stay tubeless because if I get a flat I can fix it right there instead of taking it to a shop so they can install a tube (which is a pain in the a$$ to do). I also add slime to all my tires so any little punctures get sealed instantly.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd go with tubeless if you still have the valve stem in the wheel. you can fix it in the field with a plug kit. if a tube is cut then you'd have to break it down and patch it.

also found a place with good prices on tires.

www.cedarrapidstire.com