just out ofschool

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by stockie, Jan 7, 2001.

1. stockie

stockie LawnSite Member

Hey guys, this questions is geared more for the owners of a company. I amfrom Mass. andwill be graduating from the Stockbridge School of Agriculture in May. I dont know if any of you out there know about it. Basicly its a 2 year program thatcovers just about all material from plant biology, to insect ID, to design to tree care. I was wondering what you would have as a starting pay for someone like myself. I have 5 years experience and this spring will be my 6th. Thanks alot
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

What aspect of the green industry are you interested in??

3. stockie

stockie LawnSite Member

i am into landscape construction and maintenence
  4. kutnkru

Ball park figures:

Grounds Care:
    see EMPLOYEE WAGES by tlcgrounds under lawn forum.

Landscape Construction:
    approx. $10/hr start w/ salary cap @ $15.
    90 day probation period (+) $1/hr raise upon completion.
    Raises based on merit.

approx. $9/hr start w/ salary cap @ $12.
    90 day probation period (+) $1/hr raise upon completion.
    Raises based on merit (+) Commission = 5% of your Fert sales.

Best of luck to you in your venture.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Since you have the education and experience, why settle for working for someone else for $12 hr. Get out there for yourself. Thats the only true way in this buz to make real money.
  6. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

Congrats, I graduated in 95', You are probably looking around 15/hr. But listen to 65hoss, if you feel comfortable with your experience in the field get out there and start your own business. You will gain more experience by starting a company, than working for one. Tom
  7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tend to say go out on your own...although I will disagree with EDL in that you'll get more experience on your own. Yes you'll get experience, but thru the school of hard knocks rather than tried and true practices which have been found to work. Working for someone else would teach you some tricks of the trade, but those same tricks you will learn over time on your own. I personally worked for other companies all thru high school and college and the tips and tricks I gleaned from working from these companies I have been able to apply to my business immediately rather than via a learning curve.

If you were to go to work for a company and want to work for the MAN I would suggest looking at some of the larger national service providers (i.e. Brickman, Davey, etc.) in that the diversity of work performed will allow you to see many facets of the business. Then if you decide to go on your own you have more than just book smarts. Oh...and by the way...probably expect to make $15/hr or so.

Good luck!
  8. kutnkru

I agree with scraper. You should try out some companies in the fields of expertise your interested in.

I started out in 7th grade trying to learn everything I could to become an architect. I went to college to furthuring my education for architecture. During this time I worked for a nursery and after JC I was then on my path towards Landscape Architecture. While going to College I started mowing lawns for extra cash, and have not stopped cutting today.

I guess what im trying to say is you wont know what you like until you get your feet wet. For me its always been nice to know if I chose to, I have the option of hanging up my own shingle for architecture.

9. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you are interested, maybe not.

We will be looking for summer help this summer at the airport I work at. If you are interested, it will be a great oppurtunity.

We are located in N. jersey. Pay is $10 hr, 40 hrs a week, M-F 6am-2pm. Also, boots, jeans, shirts, etc are provided and a 1 hr lunch is provided at full pay each day. Also, possible paid holidays may be available depending on how things work out.

The main duty is mowing of the airfield. You will run small tractors and possibly much larger equipment depending on your experience. Also, many other 'misc' duties are involved, but 85% of the work is landscape construction and maintenance.

It is a very 'unique' oppurtunity that can lead to much bigger, better jobs, and possibly full time employment, working year round on both the grounds and helping with snow removal. Few places can give you an oppurtunity like we have in the snow removal field.

Also, along with the airport, I will be looking for part time help after work. I run a small landscape construction firm that I run 'after hours' and weekends. I do strictly installation, and will be looking for part time help. It would be a great oppurtunity to earn a nice hunk of change for the summer, and possibly even the beginning of a bright future. Also, I do a substantial amount of landscape design work, and am beginning to look for help with producing, rendering, and designing plans.

If you are interested, fill free to email me as I can discuss with you in more detail the situation.

10. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

What are you looking for? what are your goals?

Do you really want to go on your own? Did you know that 95% of green business close in the first 5 years.And not because of a lack of work.

If you want you could work in my company and i will show you how to run a green business, after 2 years you can leave to start your own or stay and build a division you run. We are full service landscape company doing a
    million dollars a year. You can learn many different aspects of landscaping and the business side as well.
    let me know we have a team full of winners who are into the business.