Just Overseeded - what next

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by spl_lawn, May 5, 2008.

1. spl_lawn

spl_lawn LawnSite Member

I just aerated and overseeded about two weeks ago. I've been watering frequently and having pretty good results. Now I am started to get a lot of weeks coming up, and I don't know if I can put anything else down yet.

1. Can I put down weed killer yet?
    2. When should I add more fertilizer to help continue growth?
    3. Should I back off on the watering at this point?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

2. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

This really isn't the best time of year to overseed your lawn.

With this being said, as a general rule you should wait till you have cut the new growth twice before putting down any type of weed preventative. Have you applied any fertilizer yet? You should have put down some starter when you first put the seed down.

3. spl_lawn

spl_lawn LawnSite Member

yea, i know it's not the best time of year, but I have a real bad moss problem, and I was desperate to fill in some areas before the moss comes back and takes over again.

I did put down a starter fertilizer when I over-seeded. I used a starter because I had some pretty big bare spots that I was filling in.

Should I follow up at some point with an even fertilizer (10-10-10)? Or wait a few weeks and put down a weed-n-feed mix?

Thanks
    Steve

4. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Have you had the lawn tested? The pH may be off causing all the moss. At least it is my understanding that this will happen. Sounds to me like you may need some lime.

5. spl_lawn

spl_lawn LawnSite Member

Yea I had a sample tested for pH but I havent sent a full nutrient analysis in yet. The pH was high though, like 7.8.

6. JoeKidd

JoeKidd LawnSite Member

I'd still water it lightly twice a day until you cut it the first time. Then after the second cut I'd start in with the Scotts step program myself. GL

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I would keep ferting with starter fert one more time. Don't use weed control until you've cut it at least 2-3 times.