just picked up another account---sticks and branches everywhere!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Two Seasons, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

We just picked up an account that had been marginally maintained by the previous lco.

Branches up to 3/4" in diameter embedded in the turf---so many I had a wheelbarrow full :hammerhead: ---had to pick them out of the grass as I was blowing the leaves out.

My question to you:
    If you have branches that shed from the tree during the mowing season and in the fall (as they typically do at this time of the year) do you just continue to mow over them or do you do a walk-through before you cut and during mowing, stop while you are cutting for the bigger ones, move them, then pick them up before you leave the premises.

Seems to me the right way to maintain a lawn is to pick up the sticks and branches, not hit them and chop them up into smaller pieces to be ground into the soil.

Share your thoughts.
  2. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lawn like that once. After a storm, there was about 10 hours worth of stick pick-up work, which I had no time for. Well, ever since then I have absolutely avoided those types of lawns!

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you had noticed the sticks everywhere when bid the jub. I would have taken that into account. Do you charge for picking them up and take them away or leave on site. Oh and yes we pick them up before we mow.
  4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I thonk sticks nick the mower blades but someone told me they dont. Do you guys know?
  5. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Blades of grass nick the mower blades. It just has a much weaker effect, thus taking longer to get dull. If you hit a few sticks everyday I can assure you that you'll have to double your sharpening intervals.
  6. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Some were noted when we did a walk through of the account. The surprise came when I was doing leaf cleanup---pretty big branches embedded in the soil that the former lco must have cared less about.

Small branches/sticks less than 1/4" we will mow over. Bigger get picked up before/during the mow.
  7. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

Wtf pick up the sticks, Why is this a question? Should you just mow over them and ignore them? No

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

honestly why would you ever ask this question??? remind me to never take advice from you on this forum, as you ovbiously have no common sence.

Yes walk the property and pick the sticks up, stop being lazy.
  9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Well, there you go, TWO SEASONS... your reputation is now shot.

Not every customer wants to pay for stick pick-up, at least not where I live. I charge and extra $5 - $7 to skim the yard for sticks.

This is a service that is usually discussed at the time of enrollment or for sure by the end of the first mowing. I'm not going to pick up the sticks unless the customer is willing to pay the extra dough, and this does not cover storm damage either.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i would rather take the extra 5 minuts and pick up some sticks then destroy my blades from running them over.