Just Picked Up Another Turf Tiger.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnSmith, May 20, 2002.

1. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

i just purchased a 2002 Turf Tiger w/ LC 27 Kawi to add to the fleet. i once again demoed everything under the sun before making my decision. the most impressive mower of the bunch that i demoed was the Super Z. i really, really, liked this mower and the way it cut was terrific but in the end the dealer had a whole lot to do with my decision. this is the 2nd Turf Tiger i have purchased from this dealer and the 4th Scag mower overall so needless to say, i got a pretty good deal. the Super Z was still a good deal cheaper but the closest dealer (that i actually trust and like) is about 35 minutes away. about the only thing i liked more on the Super than on my Tiger was the ground speed. every other category they were about even. with the new changes made to the 2002 Tigers, the mower has improved greatly. you sit 4" lower now, its 6"+ longer, has bigger front casters, stronger frame, etc, yada, yada, yada.
    im not trying to sell the Tiger to anyone on here but its a totally different machine than my 2000 TT. i had the demo for 5 days, put 26 hours on it and loved every minute of it.
    if the Super Z dealers get a little closer to home and can actually work on equipment properly, i may have to sell off the TT's and go Super Z.

keep in mind this is pure opinion...no need to flame. thank you.

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I just picked one up myself. Like you I tried them all and have used them all, but the scags have always been my best value. The super z is a great machine also but the dealer in town I had some bad experience with is the only one who carrys them. I think with the improvements over the last few years the cut is as good as any out there, plus my scags have always held up extremely well compared to other mowers Ive had. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It never ceases to amaze me that a person would bypass a dealer just because he is 20 or 30 minutes minutes away. 500,000 people live in my county. It takes me 30 to 40 minutes to get to the gas station if I go first thing in the morning. And the gas station is only 6 miles from my house. Heaven help me if there's an accident on the way. The dealer I bought my DC from is 70 to 90 minutes away depending on traffic. I have to travel on 8 state highways, 4 Interstates and go through one 2 mile tunnel to get there.

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine's about 70-80 miles away and he sells Scags. :D

5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

my super z dealer is 45 miles away and I don't regret buying it all. I will drive 45 minutes anytime to get the best product availible.

6. DavidD

DavidD LawnSite Member
    from sc

I Purchased a new Tiger Cub Last Yr and i am Very Impressed! I got it with the Grass collection System on it. Works Very Well. The only complaint i have is that the Bags are mounted right in front of the air filter and in the fall all the leaf dust is right at the air filter. :blob3:

7. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Just bought a new 61" Turf Tiger for $6995..absolutely love it!...A little testy when it's cold & I am a little concerned with a bad connection in the starting system...otherwise an awesome machine!

8. LawnSmith

not only that but comparing the nearest Super Z dealer is like comparing your chopper to a dixon. my Scag dealer, Louisville Tractor, is the supplier for KY and parts of the surrounding states. this place is very big and very professional. last year i bent the deck on my 2000 TT by running it up on an unseen stump. while it was being repaired, i had a loaner just like mine for a total of 1 week and put 40+ hours on it. there arent any chopper, super z, exmark, great dane, etc...dealers around here that would do the same or could do the same because of lack of inventory. heck, my freakin garage is bigger than some of the dealers around here for the names mentioned above.
    be amazed at whatever you like, i made a wise decision.

9. LawnSmith

6995 is a great price for a 2002. is it the 25 Kohler or 27 kawi? my TT's with the 25 kohler dont need the choke to start anytime but the 27 kawi, unless already warmed up, needs a quick choke every time.