Just Picked Up Another Turf Tiger....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnSmith, Apr 29, 2003.

1. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, this is my 5th tiger and its a 2003 61" 29hp fuel injected LC kawi. i got it for like $8800 out the door and snagged another shin eb630 on the way out as well.

so far so good, i got it today(mon) around 12:30 and have put 6 hours on it already, time to change the first oil already.

anyway, just thought i would share. this is also my 7th scag product that i have owned, 5 tigers and 2 walkbehinds.

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Its nice to see so many of us happy with our product we use. That is very important. I have never used Scag, but love my Exmarks just as much.

Keep us informed as to the performance of the 29 HP.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Well that explains your bias against the Wright Sentar.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

They really must produce a nice product to have a customer loyalty like you are showing LawnSmith. That speaks well of the company.

Gravely_Man

5. LawnSmith

yeah, as i have said before, i've had great experiences w/ scag BUT, its mainly because of the great dealer support. if my dealer (Louisville Tractor) sold exmark, chopper, hustler, etc., i would be running one of those brands.
    btw, they do sell wright, and thats where i get my biased opinions of them. i demoed a wright sentar for 2 weeks and gathered my opinions from those 2 weeks.

i do like the sentar and/or the stander for trailer saving space though. i can fit two 61" tigers and a 48" walk behind on a 16ft. trailer but i could fit 3 maybe 4 60" sentars/standers on a 16ft trailer.

6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

How does the new Turf Tiger handle compared to the older style models with the new models having lower center of gravity with the lowered frame. I sat on one at a show in the winter and it almost seems that you're laying on the machine now compared to being up higher on the older ones. Must be nice to have plenty of power as well. :D
    Matt

7. LawnSmith

well, my older ones always held hills quite nicely. but, compared to the newer style, they cant hold a candle to them. i can put the newer ones on hills that i can barely hold w/ a walkbehind. wider stance, lower stance, and a longer wheelbase all equals better stability wether it be on hills or flat ground.

what holds the road better, a low stance porsche or a high clearance SUV?

8. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

Congratulations! I'd love to try that engine option.

I got a 1999 Turf Tiger, 61" with the 25HP Kolher and they build these like Tanks!

May sell and upgrade to one with a liquid cool Kawi.

How's the gas usage compared to a 25HP Kohler??

D. Tom

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Hey Lawnsmith. Good choice. Currently I have a Tiger, a Cub, and a WB.
    At one time I owned 2 WB, and 7 ZTR mowers. In fact I have had Scags on my trailers since 1986 and have been happy with all of them. Maybe you guys haven't been around long enough to remember their front deck mowers that had the cable steering. But I have had a couple of those too. Cables wore out quick so they went to chains. Cool handle bars and boy could you whip them around in a turn. Fun to drive but you did have to steer them.

10. LawnSmith

you mean like this? or something different? if so, then yes, i ran a bunton like this at the golf course i used to work for. very nice for trimming under trees and trimming in general. also, w/ the deck raised up, they dont take up any more room than a ztr.

sthmbigbeauty.jpg