Just picked up my new Bob-cat Predator Pro with the Boss Vac. Here's what I think.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, May 2, 2007.

1. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

puppypaws,sir,whats your opinion on the reliability and the durability of the Generac engines?What are the parts availability like?I've read in the past that they had some oil leek problems.Then again I've read about problems with the 37 HP Kawasaki.Thanks for your help as always.

2. jmullins6987

jmullins6987 LawnSite Member

Just curious how much did the predator pro 61 run you?

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Generac, Vanguard, Kohler and Kawasaki are all good engines. Generac has been building engines for generators a very long time, generators must have a fast recovery engine when it senses a load needing more amperage very quickly. Generac has an advantage by engineering their choke system to sense and respond more quickly. This means when a mower hits a heavier area of grass either caused by larger growth or dampness it responds more quickly. When it responds more quickly, this means less RPM drop, which in return means less blade tip speed drop. The less blade tip speed drop the more usable power with better fuel economy.

This is something people don't seem to grasp, you can take a 30 hp Kohler in heavy cutting where the governor is working constantly in an attempt to hold the engine speed up and this will mean excessive fuel usage. You can put the same mower with a 33 Generac or 35 Vanguard in the same grass and you may never hear the governor activate. This means more productivity with less fuel, the mower never slows down. The 37 Kawasaki in the same situation will drink fuel, the governor is too sensitive, this is the reason they have engineered what is called an E-Choke. Kawasaki is supposedly coming out with the E-Choke (electronic choke), on some of their engines this year, and I am sure the 37 hp will be on that list. I talked with Kawasaki personally last fall and this was the information I was given. I told them their 37 used more fuel than any comparable engine on the market, and they agreed this was one of its faults.

Bobcat told me personally that Generac parts availability was no problem for them, this could be because of the number of engines they buy, the more money you spend normally means better treatment for a large customer.

4. puppypaws

I forgot to add this, it was emailed to me this afternoon from Bobcat for those interested.

Attached Files:

5. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

We just got a new Bob-Cat dealer locally. Stopped in to check them out. Pretty sharp machines.

6. jmullins6987

RE:dealer was the top Bobcat dealer in the US year before last and I can remember when he told me there would be no more Generac engines offered on Bobcat mowers once the inventory was gone.

JUST CURIOUS WHATS THE NAME OF THE TOP BOBCAT DEALER?

7. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

Can't recall just this second. He set up in a great location though. On a main road close to the interstate.

8. puppypaws

Whitley Lawn & Garden, Monroe, NC....Bobcat has largest single store dealer as well as mutiple store dealer. Whitley would be considered a single store dealer.

9. jmullins6987

thanks i'll have to check out there prices. I would guess they are pretty good selling all they do!

10. puppypaws

Yes, you do that, you could probably fly down and pick one up from my dealer cheaper than you could buy one from a dealer in the great state of Connecticut.