1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just plain crappy day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Enforcer, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Man, what a crappy day. I was in a backyard doing spring clean-up when the engine on my Dixon bogged down, and I wasn't mowing, just pulling a 42" dethatcher and I am pretty sure the engine is frozen up. It sucks! It's a 15 h.p. I had to push and pull it all the way to the front yard and load it on the trailer. AHHHHHHH, bad day. But I think it was her time to go. R.I.P. Briggs & Straton 15 h.p.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

only way it will freeze up is not EVER changing the oil or it having no oil in it and letting the bearings seize up.
  3. Lawn Enforcer

Ya, I screwed up, I just changed the oil and forgot to check it today. Just pissed that I forgot, but I learned my lesson.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I burned an 18 HP Kohler Magnum up once, but I was mowing on a hill, so it wasn't a matter of me not changing the oil, but it could have been just a little low and that's all it took. I was about 15 when it happened and was staring down the barrel of a $1500 motor replacement, boy was that a fun summer.
  5. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I made a similar mistake on an edger many years ago. The good news is, you'll only make that mistake once.
  6. Lawn Enforcer

Well, I thought I burned it out, but my mechanic called me today and said that it was a simple fix. He just squirted some oil in the spark plug hole and worked it loose, and she runs nicely. I got very lucky and I learned my lesson, ALWAYS check the oil. My mechanic said I probably shut it off just in time.
  7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow!! Sounds like you did just catch it in time, but great news for you! Congrats!!
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you lucked out, awesome! I broke a rod in half and cracked a piston when I burned up my Magnum, I've never seen my old man so pissed off at me before. That's alright, I'm older now and he tends to make more stupid and costly mistakes these days.
  9. Lawn Enforcer

Thanks guys, I am so relieved that it turned out okay, I did think my dad would be kinda pissed, but he wasn't really mad at all.
  10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Whoa, so close to losing an engine, that's good news.

I had a great day, 9 parts good, one part bad. Last year I hit a spike with my super recycler toro (pos) and bent the blade, the grass accelerator and the thing you bolt it onto, that the belt spins around. All new parts and I still got a shimmy to the mower, I guess I bent that metal rod that comes down from the engine. I'm going to bring it to the dealer and let them operate then I'll just use it as a trim mower.