just pondering-wb based business adss

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Jan 7, 2006.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Just had a pondering. :dizzy:
    Sometimes there is a problem with ztrs tearing up a yard. This sometimes ticks the client off.
    What if someone (me) bought a large deck walk behind and advertise something like, are they tired of their current lco tearing up your yard with their big machines. Give us a try. (wording needs a lot more thought.)
    State that we have efficient machines.
    Then when you bid the job you explain that it will cost a little more but you will have a nicer looking lawn.

Does anyone have very many clients who care that much about their lawn?
    I haven't even worked any numbers to see what a difference in charge would even be so this is a very raw idea.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've done exactly this. That is why we have a number of 61" WB's with velkies for people that have had bad experience with operator error running Z's. And you can charge more for them by explaining to the customer the WB's are slower than the Z's thus taking you longer to mow a property (carefully).

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is also a good idea. Most residentals I have seen think all the machines are too big any way, and they just keep getting bigger.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about it... If you have a crew you could even use 21" mowers. Drawback is that it takes 3 people to do a lawn that 1 can do with a z in the same amount of time. I know a crew here that does just that. He gets a lot of lawns because so many people don't like the "big mowers"

I keep wanting to find a good used hydro walkbehind so I can mow smaller lawns and when it's wet. Only problem is that we catch 90% of the grass here, and WB grass catchers are a PITA! They stick out so far they make a 48" cut mower about 7 feet wide. Like trying to mow with a 72" mower, you can't get into a lot of spots or squeeze thru. Plus the catchers fill soooooo fast. In heavy growth you can't go more than 100 feet or so and it's full.

Don't bother trying to preach mulching to me. Been there, tried that, dosn't work. And blowing the clippings is a definate NO.

5. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

How about giving a seminar on how not to tear up the turf using a z-turn mower. A wide area walk behind is just as suseptable to turf tear as a sit down Z. You just have to know how to make slow 3-point turns.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not really with a dual drive hydro WB.

7. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

You need to look at a Walker GHS.

8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought about doing the same thing last year when I was contemplating a Z or large wb... I actually used to use that as a selling point before I got my Z and It worked pretty good. (later I realized that I just had Z envy and was hating against the guys with Z's)

In the long run I am glad I got the Z instead of a hydro wb. I do see alot of guys that make zero turns and leave plenty of divots. I always just explain to potential customers that their current lco is just in a hurry and it only takes a second longer to do a 3 pt turn to avoid the divot...

Plus I figured that a 48" Lazer hp weighs around a 1000 lbs and a 60" turf tracer weighs around 800. WIth that kind of weight, I dont think 200 lbs makes that much of a difference.

MY 440lb 36 Metro can make divots just as big as the 48 Z when improperly operated!!!!!

Now I am spoiled, cause If I cannot ride the whole lawn I pretty much pass on it. The 36 stays on the trailer pretty much all week.
    :cool:

9. MEDIC470

MEDIC470 LawnSite Member

Dont bother, most LCO are instructing their employees how not to tear up the lawns. I have to admit, the first week I had mine, I practiced on my own property before I wreaked havoc on the paying customers. After two years i've burned half the tread off the tires and theyre perfect now. Most guys are getting a handle on the problem. By the time you put your marketing idea into effect, it wont be a problem anymore. In addition, dont ever advertise problems like this. We dont need all the clients walking there property everytime we leave. We've all left some rememberances, torn tree roots, a scalp here or there or a branch missing off the rose bush, after we walked by trimmer in hand scratching our nuts thinking about that first cold beer.

10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Thanks for all the replies. It sounded like kind of a goofy idea at first. Actually it may be a good idea except...................................Medic470 is right. I'm not so sure that all LCO's are getting a handle on the problem but I do agree that it would have to be marketed very carefully so it doesn't come back and bite all of us in the a##. What it boils down to is exploiting the competition's flaws without highlighting my own. It has given me pause to reflect on my own flaws. Maybe I'll work on improving myself before I exploit the competition's flaws.:help: