Just purchased new model lesco space saver

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, May 11, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just got the new model 200 gallon space saver from lesco. $3650. Anyhow got the chem gun with the 2.0 gallon nozzle. Question is I'm about to calibrate this unit and will be spraying three way with surfactant. I have the process down on how to calibrate it. Measure a 1,000 sq. ft, time to see how long it takes to spray it, then get a bucket take the same time and see how much water comes out. How many gallons of water should i be using per 1,000 sq. ft when spraying three way. Ill be spraying around 1.2 oz per 1,000. And what psi should I start with to obtain this. Thanx for all the help. Ill post pictures of the new space saver soon

2. ETM

ETM LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

We spray 3 gallons per 1000sq. ft. @ 200 psi. That's with our space saver 200 gallon.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I assume you are not mixing in liquid fertilizer. With an average walking speed (2.5 mph). You will probably cover about 1500 sqft per minute. If you use an average rate of about 2 gallons per thousand sqft. You need to spray 3 gallons per minute. I suggest 100 pounds pressure. Your calibration will be more accurate, if you use water and time yourself while spraying 5000 sqft. Then divide by 5. You may get around 40 seconds per thousand. If so adjust pressure and motor rpm to get 2 gallons in 40 seconds. Let us know how it works out under Toledo conditions.

How long is the hose? Is the hose a half or three-eights inch? With a hose longer than 300 feet you have a lot of pressure loss due to friction. It will be a lot worse with the smaller hose.

4. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i like to keep the pressure as low as possible to do the job right,
    you will find trimming around beds and ornamentals alot easier
    with less drift with lower pressure

5. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Keeping the pressure as low as possible really means nothing considering every sprayer and every pump is different, even the same brand sprayer as the next one may spray differently than the next, I may have to keep my sprayer at a higher Psi than you, does that mean I'm not doing the right thing???????? You tell me.

6. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i guess i should have mentioned im using the same
    lesco space saver 200 gallon-and that seems to work
    best for me---
    also, qoute i said as low to do the job right

so what, if you run 150psi and i run 50 psi and
    achieve the same goal

7. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

I used to spray at 2 gallons per minute and that would cover 1,000 sq. ft. I would set the pressure by spraying the mixture into my bucket and timing it for 30 seconds. I would adjust a few times until I got 1 gallon in the bucket at the 30 second time measure. That would mean that I would get 2 gallons at the 60 second time measure. I would then know that I was at the recommended rate of application. From there, I would walk at the 2.5/3.0 mph and I was usually right on the money.

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

You spray weed control at 200 psi? What, are the weeds in the tree tops? I run as low a psi as possible to get the coverage/flow I want. My pressure gauge needle barely hovers above 0. I aim for 2 gal/1,000k.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Haha. That way you don't have to leave the truck. Just hold the nozzle out the window as you drive by...

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

DING DING! You win! That's the only real way to do it. I have 2 completely diffferent spray rigs. 1 is a 20 gpm pump with larger input hoses running at 75psi and the other 9.5 gpm pump with smaller input hoses running at 140psi. Per bucket check they both spray 2gpm. Bucket check is only way to get a baseline. Walking speed varies and can be adjusted more easily through trial and error. JMO