just purchased

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dr9, Aug 28, 2006.

1. dr9

dr9 LawnSite Member

a new 61" scag wildcat with 26 hp liquid cooled engine. Can some of you who run these tell me if this is wise purchase. Currently have 48" scag WB and partner has 36" scag WB and 48" tiger cub. Just couldn't see paying $2000 more for turf tiger. Please tell me I haven't screwed up.
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

A dealer around me only stocks the wildcats because he does not like the gearbox that the turf tiger uses. I have never run one of the machines so I can not chime in there.
  3. madness0827

madness0827 LawnSite Member

how is it running?
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Scag brags that the gear box and shaft drive are a reason to buy Scag. So now I'm hearing that the shaft/gearbox is giving more problem than a cheap belt. Any Scag guys care to comment. How can an expensive gearbox/drive shaft be better than a belt? Even if the belt breaks its an inexpensive repair and most of the industry is having no problems with belts. Serious question, not a slap at Scag which was my second choice next to the Huslter I bought. Of course the dealer wouldn't even let me test it out afraid to get it dirty so I never got a chance to try the new deck. He let me drive it around the parking lot for a bone jarring ride though but this may have been improper tire pressure or something.
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

gearbox went somewhere between 1000 and 1200 hrs on ours. It froze up within 100 hrs of changing the gear oil. I have no intention of opening them up anymore, replacement is easy and cost is a couple hundred bucks. I do like the system, it allows for a horizontal shaft engine with the clutch and hydro belt out back for easy service. I expect 2000+ hrs out of the new gearbox.
  6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Mine works excellent.
  7. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Have same new wildcat except for 52" deck. Frame not as heavy as turf tiger. IMO the belt drive is simpler than the shaft drive. Price was also a factor.
  8. madness0827

madness0827 LawnSite Member

i just got the same wildcat. its a great machine,and it strips well