Just put down pre-m, now they want to reseed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cochino12, Apr 30, 2006.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Any way of reseeding after only a week after customer put down pre-em? or am I going to have to wait for 6 weeks?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They recommend 30 days, don't they? Either way, far as I know any type of weed killer (be it pre or post) will interfere with the germination of seed so to put grass seed down now is almost for sure a waste of time and money.

This is one reason I always seed first (no offense to you) because you can treat weeds year-round for the most part, but you shouldn't seed much later than right now.

I'd recommend they wait until fall to make sure, you can tell them there is 0 percent guarantee the seed will germinate if you put it down now and about a 40-60 percent chance it will survive the summer if you put it down near end of may.

That's what I do, all the time... Most appreciate the candid honesty.

3. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

what kind of pre m? some last longer than others.

4. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Check the package , Ill bet its more like 12-16 weeks wait. I wait till fall if they put doen a pre emergent in spring

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

That dog wont hunt, forget it for this season, try in sept.
    About the only thing that may work would be to till it and destroy the barrier.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

If you disturb the soil enough, no "pre-emergent" will inhibate 100% of the grass seed. I say go ahead and seed.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your about 4 months late!
    Quit ressurecting all these old dead threads. this is about the 4th one you responded to from april.