1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

just received a second chance offer for this. should i take it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 15, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

2. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful of second chance offers. There are scammers out there. My friend got a second chance offer on a camera and he sent them $1200.00 and it was a scam. I was with him when the offer came in. It was on a Ebay page. It looked exactly like ebay. I would not take the chance unless you can somehow verify this is legitimat.
  3. lawnwizards

if i did, i was gonna take cash with me to complete the sale. thanks for the tip though.
  4. Mowpower

Mowpower LawnSite Member

Why is it a buy it now for $910, then the reserve is set for $500? Stay away.
  5. lawnwizards

its a second chance dude. the auction originally ended at $972. i bid it at $910. the other guy said its too far to drive and backed out. now they are offering it to me for $910. i offered them $850.
  6. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

i would tell em ill pay three dollars via paypal credit card (yes=03.00), pay the balance when i pick it up.
    contact the dude that backed out n git his side of the story.
    but its yer 910.oo, pay up front n hope that town even exists..
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, if you can pay when you pick it up then I would go for it. Tell them you will bring a money order or certified cheque. They should not refuse that.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You realize second-chance offers when they come via email, send you to a login page which phishers use to gain your username: password then it sends you to ebay and everything is done so slick, it re-directs you and logs you into ebay so to you it appears as if everything was the way it should be.

I've gotten a few of these just to realize the auction had ended and the 2nd-chance offer was a scam... I NEVER click a link in an email, when I got the 2nd-chance offer, I opened my browser separately and went to ebay and logged in via the browser (without clicking no email links) and then went to My Ebay and lo and behold, there was nothing there concerning no 2nd chances...

It is a big scam, it is possible you got a second-chance offer but best beware !
    Of course the other guy said it was too far a drive or some such thing... A lot of these phishers tailor their bait to Your auction, yes some go through that much trouble, that much I do know because their scam is then that much more likely to work.
    You did find out this info via My Ebay and NOT through email, correct?
    Far as I know ebay doesn't even send 2nd-chances via email but I could be wrong, check their FAQ thou.
  9. lawnwizards

topsites, it didn't come throught e-mail. it was on my ebay page when i went there yesterday. i assume its legit if ebay says it is.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it is...
    Sorry I get really nervous because those phishing emails can look very legit and I almost fell for the stupid trick years ago.
    2nd-chance offers always come through My Ebay so if it shows there, it's legit.