Just Received Certification!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walker-talker, Jan 23, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just found out I passed my general exam and turf pest control exam!!! Where do I start...sign me up!!! Actually I first need to get insured then get my business license. I need to come up with a 4-step plan.

1) Pre-M
    2)?
    3)Post emergent
    4)Winterization

I live in zone 5 and will be treating mostly fescue.
    I had a lady call and want me to bid her property and these condos I mow for. She rattled off that the competition did a 4 step program and I could do the work if my bid was less and she told me what the bid was even. I don't remember #2 though. I think is was a fertilizer treatment, but not sure.

If anyone would like to share their personal programs they offer I would love to hear them. I am not a newbie to Lawnsite, but I am to this forum and yes I did do a search . My first 800 some-odd posts was in the commercial lawn care forum and my next 800 will be in the chem app forum....lol. I would like to offer the client options on their chem appl/lawn maintenance. Also, would a simple 4-step program be ok just to use granuals?

Any and all direction appreciated!
    MATT

2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

5-6 steps... more applications = $$ bling $$

good work, your halfway there!!

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Congratulations on passing your tests.

4. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

You can now get a License to KILL......Pest that is.
    Now get that insurance and License then slow down and get ready to learn. Find a mentor you trust in your area, within 10 miles of you. Use the progran they recomend. Your in a position now make more money than ever before. Your also in position to need insurance more than ever before. Have you done apps. before?

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations on you certification!
    First thing you should do is find a good dealer to buy your supplies from. Your dealer can help you put together a great program for your area. United Horticultural Supply(UHS) is who I use. It seems most people use Lesco. Check for dealers in your area.

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

I do have a wholesaler just 2 miles down the street that I buy my seed and fertilizer from. I do remember talking with a rep for about an hour one day about a fertilizer program. I am sure they would help me out. I also have a Lesco nearby I will go and chat with. Thanks, I had planned on doing this, but seemed to forgotten.

Russ, I have not done apps commercially yet. Two years ago I put down some post emergent (I had a ton of dandelions in front lawn) and it worked well. I just used a hose-end sprayer. I know I still have a lot of education needed, but I have passed the first hurdle.

MATT

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Oh yeah, I have a question also. I know it varies from state to state and I need to check for the state of Kansas, but I know here, and most states, you don't have to charge sales tax on mowing service. Where you are, do you have to charge sales tax on applications? I guess yes, because you are actually giving them water and chemicals, but I am not sure.

MATT

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Check with your state, but I would say ,yes, because you are purchasing chemicals.

9. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

Matt, congrats, I live just alittle south of you and I have dealt w/ lesco there in Wichita, great help and I will be coming up there before long to reload for this year. As for the tax issue I believe if you are goin to charge tax you should have a tax #, with a tax # you whould not pay tax on supplies you buy but you would the customer and then have to report it quarterly to the feds etc. I have used the advice that I was told by ? , for the size of my operation I should just buy the materials like normal, and do NOT charge tax or a markup fee, if anything call it a restocking fee. They the Feds just want the tax on one endor the other you or your customer.If you call it a markup and they(IRS) will want the tax you collected and a percentage of your markup but a restocking fee is a loophole. Sorry for babbling. As for a plan look at a local university I know OSU has a program on their web site. Also wanted to know if you deal w/Maximum Tractor. Thanks.

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

Hey Tig, send me an email before you come up and we'll catch lunch or something....my treat. Have you ever went over to Gardenwise and check their prices out? You have to have a tax# (my social security #) and an account with them. Takes only a few minutes to fill out an application. They have pretty decent prices on grass seed. At the local nursery they sell a bag of Kansas Premium blend fescue for $55, Gardenwise sells the same 25lb bag for $23. As far as charging sales tax I do want they call "streamline bookkeeping". I pay the sales tax at the time of purchase and include that tax within the bid. It is legal and actually advised. I suppose you could give less of an estimate and then charge them tax on that, might look better to the customer that way. I don't see any reason to why they should have to pay for tax on the service, but only on the goods itself. I better check more into this. I have never been to the Lesco here, even though it's only a couple miles from my house. It's over on 37th street isn't it? I just found out it was there a couple of weeks ago. Like I said, get ahold of me your next visit, we'll go to lunch and go over to Gardenwise and see if you can save some $$$.

MATT