Just returned from....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D&R, Jun 12, 2006.

1. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Just returned from Disney. Do they have the mowers down there. Has anyone on Lawnsite ever worked for the grounds crew at Disney? How many do they employ and how do they get them all to mow at night?

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't worked on the resort grounds, but I have consulted on the golf courses there.
    As it was explained to me by the golf grounds people, the resort grounds is a different section with-in the overall maintenance department.
    I'm not aware of the time they work being any different than the golf grounds - it is all in how you time your work in those high traffic public areas.

3. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

it seems like I saw a show on TV about disney. If I remember right they used a lot of big lights and did all of there work at night.

4. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

In 3 weeks, I'll be camping in the resort. I'll sneak around and find out! :weightlifter:

5. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Was just down there myself, stayed at the Disney Swan on Disney property. The Swan, which is independently owned--as is the Dolphin--had a private company maintaining their grounds during daylight hours, using Toro w/b's set very low. (Looked like mostly bermuda and St. Augustine grasses.) A talkative cabbie told me Disney-proper does all their grounds work at night under the lights. You can pretty much bet that Disney won't allow any part of the Disney magic to be marred with mower/trimmer noises. :clapping:

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The grass is always green there and never grows. Why do you think its called the Magic Kingdom?

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I worked in the Hort Department for three years as a full time employee, and I did my internship there as well.

I worked int he Pest management Side fert squirt, animal control, ect...

When i was there in the mid to late 90's we had 130 folks working bug side and about 600 working just landscaping. couple dozen irrigation and 1 dozon arborists.

landscapers had two shifts most worked the Am and started around 4-5 am. there is a second shift wich would comein around 10 ish to stay in the afternoonto water pots, ect...
    arborist woudl come in much earlier around 1-3 ish, depeneding on what they needed to do. Irrigation woudl work the same hours as landscapers.

Bug guys had 24-7 coverage. In my time there I worked all three shifts, I was able to work at each theme park, and I worked on animal Kingdom while it was being built.

Disney is a Union workplace. I was making 13 bucks right out of college, which back then wasn't bad money, especially in Florida where rent is cheap...

Disney proivides your uniforms and washes them for you when I was there you got severl hard tickets each year, but you also were allowed to let in around 30 people each year. as an employee you could visit the park as often as you liked...

There are no raises except what is negotiated by the union. so you get some people who work and some people who slide by...

any questions, ask away....I answer what I can...

8. Marc; thanks for the info. This is a very interesting thread.
    It deserves to go BTT (back to top)

Fubba; Are you staying at the Ft. Wilderness (I think) campground? The one right on Disney property? We'd like to stay there sometime. But isn't it kind of pricy? We've been to some campgrounds in Orlando, and they weren't what I'd call inexpensive.

Dave

9. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks Marc. I never saw anyone mowing the grounds. I was there for 5 days. I did see some Z's mowing around the entry roads during the day but never in the park during the day. Therefore, I assumed they must mow at night.

Thanks again your input was helpful for my useless bank of knowledge:rolleyes:

10. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

on grounds is expensive but worth the money for convienance. we like to stay at the boardwalk. a couple of minutes walk to epcot and mgm. if you have hopper passes you can see mgm's night show, leave afterward catch the boat to epcot, see thier night show then stroll back to your room.