Just Say Hello!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jun 4, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Whenever I see another LCO or crew around town, I always try to wave. Unless I'm busy doing something. I try to be friendly to everyone and just be nice. When I started doing this, no one would wave back. 9 years later almost everyone in town waves back, which is cool. No reason to hate the other players is there?

Well, there is one large company in town whose crews NEVER wave back. No matter what, these buttholes can't scrape up enough common decency to even nod at me. And this company is large enough that whoever owns it isn't going out and working, it's all employees. And scruffy looking employees at that. It just kills me. I wonder sometimes if their policy is to be rude to other lcos because of how they act.

It really pisses me off. These guys are just employees, they are making their measly pittance of a check anyway. What's the difference if they wave to me? I don't consider that company competition, especially with the crappy job they do anyway. If they are hating on me because they view me as competition, that amuses me.

Today when I saw one of their crews, I waved. Nothing. Not even a look. They stopped down the street from me. Wouldn't look when they got out of the truck. I was almost tempted to go say something to them, but I figured it would be wasted on them anyway. I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with keeping all the profits from my lawns, not just the $8 /hr they get paid.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Most everyone around here is good about the mutual respect thing, too, and the vast majority wave. WE have a large company around here that is the same way. Real big company, newer trucks, and not enough decency to show professional courtesy that to me, is professionalism, anyway. It's a joke, but it's gotten to the point now, that many landscapers in the area have caught onto this, so now, many of them just laugh about this company. They think they're all that, when in fact, all they are are just drones working for a guy who is very much in debt.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

TOM! dude! those weren't LCO employees! they were ZOMBIES!!! HAHAHA!

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Joe, are we talking about the 'red guys'?

Every LCO that I pass waves, or if they're working, they at least give a head nod in passing. There is plenty of work out there for everyone, no sense in hating.
  5. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Well based on the opinion you have formed towards those "just employees" you probably don't deserve their wave. I can't believe you started your post out on such a positive note only to then turn it into a negative. A true reflection of who you really are. Somewhat hypocritical to me. Hey guys wave at me so I can later bad mouth you and your measly pay. If you have any employees do you also think of them in the same way? I hope in the future you find a cure for your condition and remember what you have today can be gone tomorrow.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Why worry?
    Employees and owners are like any other people,some are respectful and pleasant,others are a PITA.
  7. mtdman

I don't think it's hypocritical at all. I know they pay their employees crap, and their employees act like they are too good to wave and be nice to the little guy. I see 'em laugh when they drive by. I hear the way the WHOLE company treats other LCOs. And I see the crap work their grunts whip out. And I see how angry and unhappy ALL their employees are as I drive by. Yet somehow they are too good to wave back to a fellow lawn guy?

The way I look at it, we all work in the Lawn Industry. We should all treat each other respectfully. We all go through the same trials and crap every day, we all know what the other person does. Why not be nice to the other guy? I've been in business for 9 years now, I'm not a fly by night scrub or some flash in the pan. I certainly treat other lcos and crews respectfully. I expect the same from them. Why hate other lawn care guys?

When I don't get respect, then I'm not going to respect them. Especially with this company, and as big a joke as they are. These guys are grunts for this company, they are no better than me. I am willing to give them respect and wave and be nice to them, they can't return the favor? That's fine. But don't expect me to be happy about it, and don't expect me to give them respect. All they've done is applied for and been hired to cut lawns. I created a company, busted my ass off to make it successful, and been in business for almost a decade. Just because the guy they work for has a bunch of trucks makes them no better than me. And it makes me smile to think they get paid maybe an eighth of what I make per lawn, even if they are a bunch of snobs.

I like what Geo said. They are Lawn Zombies, and that's what I'm going to call them from now on. I don't have employees, but if I did they would be waving back and treating other LCOs with respect and not animosity.

I'll also point out that the other 2 big companies in town all wave back, I've even talked to several of their employees, and they've referred work to me in the past, vice versa. Not everyone out their are jerks, but the ones that are get no respect from me.
  8. mtdman

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

come to think of it, many LCO's around here stop and chat with me......how's it goin? ya busy this year? caught up from all the rain? That's good sportsmanship
  10. mtdman

Exactly! It's just common courtesy.