Just say no to bagging.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Jan 31, 2006.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I just turned down a full service job(mow,app,trim,etc) because they wanted it bagged. This is the daughter of another customer whose lawn just happens to be my only bagging account. She also indicated she had some neighbors that might need a new service. The current lco has a block of four and does a crummy job. I hate bagging. It draws flies, it stinks, it's hard to get rid of, it's heavy, it beats the gear, etc.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

All of my accounts and even all the new accounts I am picking up for this year want it bagged. I don't understand why you would side discharge or mulch unless you do the property twice a week. In my opinion bagging gives it a clean look. I dump my clippings end of the day, that charge is added into each persons weekly rate. I can see some accounts as side discharging like field or realy wide open areas that don't matter.
    Just my view

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I bag at my discretion. I have one that pays extra for weekly bagging. All the trash services here will pick up bags of grass. If I had to haul it away, I wouldn't, not my trash, and I'm no garbage man.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

around here you have to bag about 75% of the season or it just looks bad. also in several communities you can't leave the bags of clipping sit on the curb for more than a day. i have a dump site across from the shop so i dump every day at the end of the route. if you want to be a professional then do a professional job if the lawn needs bagged to make i look good then bag it and take the clippings with you i'm sure you can find someplace to dump.the ones around here that leave bags sitting on curbs are the ones that people look at like the hillbilly out cutting for some beer money not a professional

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Clark, there's just no need to haul grass away here. Nothing to do with anyone's level of professionalism. Why should I waste my time and load my truck down when the garbage companies pick it up?
  6. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

We bag as little as possible, it all comes down to two things. (1) bagging takes extra time during and after the day is done and (2) it's not very healthy to always remove the clippings. From time to time you have to do it if you get behind and sometimes just to get rid of a bit of the excess, but overall a waste to do it all the time
  7. Turf Manager

Turf Manager LawnSite Member

Why waste all that money on fertilizer then haul it away? It will become organic fertilizer in time.
  8. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

here in south jersey you see alot of guys running around with there baggers on back of there Z riders. its like a common thing around here.
  9. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I bag all of my residential customers and leave the clippings for trash men. We leave the bags at the side of the house so not to look bad. I won't bag the back yard if they have dogs, other than that everyone gets bagged. If I can't leave the bags at the residence then there is a charge for disposal and usually that will have the customers asking me to just leave the bags at the side of the house. It does not matter if the customer is basic service or full service always bag.
  10. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

bagging leaves the lawn looking more profesionally done fees are added to bag and haul