Just Say No to Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A-Land, Oct 25, 2008.

1. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

I've been experimenting with different blade set-ups for a while now.

At the beginning of this year, I was running regular gators and would need to be sharpened about every 15 hours, I would say.

By chance, I ended up getting a pair of the Scag "eliminator" blades. They were more expensive than the gators, but I needed blades ASAP and they were what was in stock.

Low and behold, these blades now have over 75 hours on them, and look brand new. No dings, no nothing. They have even been in use for leaves for the past few weeks.

So for those who swear by the gators, try some Scags. The blades are made from much better material, and will make up their slightly higher cost in a matter of weeks.

I'll try to get a picture to prove my point......

I have a major picture update in the works with all kinds of new stuff so stay tuned :laugh::laugh::laugh:

2. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I WISH I could get 15 hours out of ANY blades before sharpening them. Gotta love the sand down here!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

True, 10hrs is as far as mine go before in need of sharpening, and that's when the going is good.

I'm eager to see the 75hr pics of those blades. Are they made of chrome-moly steel or something?

4. A-Land

10-15 I would say on the gators.....

Yep no sand at all up here!

5. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

that would be a dream!!!

6. A-Land

Scag is owned by a Metal crafting company, evidently it's just hardened steel. The dealer told me they are a b---- to sharpen because the steel is so hard.

7. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

You aren't kidding!!!!:usflag:

8. A-Land

how many hours do you guys get??

9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

ive never cared for gators either...they dont mulch or cut well at all...

i try to use oem blades whenever possible too...gators are way overrated...

10. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like gators either. I think they cut like crap. I had some on for about 5 hrs this summer and took them off because I was having to double cut and put my regular Fusion high lifts back on. The difference in cut was night and day. I will say that Gators work great on leaves and I am putting back on this week to start leaf clean ups, I just won't cut grass with them.