1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just say no?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greensway, Jun 4, 2004.

1. greensway

greensway LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have a potential customer that I believe is running a game, and would appreciate feedback & opinions of others;
    Starts off like this.....
    May 17, 2004
    I get a call from a lady asking if I could mow her yard, I say sure, what's your address and how did you hear of us?
    She sidestepped the answer which I am sure is "referred from a friend"

When has it been mowed last I ask? Well once already this year!
    So drive by, I get there and the grass is a foot high but thin so I then call her telling her $55 1st. cut or If she wants to be a seasonal customer $40 each cut. I also leave a flyer on her door and a business card.
    Just once, I'll leave a check.
    If I like your work I'll have you do more things in the yard, I'll call you the day after you mow and talk.
    I get a call June 3, 2004 and she tells me that she did'nt know how to get a hold of me to tell me that she wanted to be a seasonal customer, and her grass needs mowed now!
    Well, I get there and see the little 21" lines and laying grass and the 10" grass growing along the house ,trees, everything.
    I cut the grass, but I see trouble - maybe a call next week saying " I don't think it needs cut this week!"

I'm thinking I want to find out who referred her to me and obviously they know her and dump them too!
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a cheapo. And trouble.
  3. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Make her pay in advance, if she won't let her find someone else.
  4. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

She is a classic pita. Is she an old woman? I have some really great old woman customers, but ive ran into so many that play the "old woman" part and are nothin but trouble. Dump her and move on. Let the low ballers deal with her