1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just seeded new lawn. Q's.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by yugin, Jul 23, 2008.

1. yugin

yugin LawnSite Member

I seeded new lawn about 10 days ago. I used heat tolerant Kentucky Blue grass mix on about 20% of the lawn, the rest of it got Tall Fescue mix. I seeded with the rate a little higher than recommended on the package. The lawn have been tilled, pH tested about 7, fertilized. Most of the newly seeded yard was covered by thin layer of peat moss. I kept watering regularly.
    Now I have about 3/4 inch high grass, but it seems kind of thin (at least to me). There are couple spots that were washed off by sprinklers. Some say it will fill itself in.
    Should I worry about it now? Should I apply more seed now or wait?

I am in Eastern Washington.
  2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

I would just keep it mowed & fertilized for now, let it establish itself then overseed the thin or eroded areas in Sept. It's tough to get seed established mid-summer.
  3. yugin

yugin LawnSite Member

Thanks, that where I'm leaning for right now, even though I am itching to seed now.
    Anybody else could chime in?
  4. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

May I ask, How much is "a little higher than recommended on the package"? I see a lot of guys who seed and go quite a bit higher than some of the recommendations I have seen and an idea of how much seed you used would be helpful.

My suggestion would be along the lines of TforTexas. Mowing and fertilizing can thicken up a lawn a lot and help the color and growth as well. With this being late July I think if my shoes were on your grass I would wait until about Mid September which is a great time to seed, then if it still looked thin I would overseed. In the meantime use some fertilzer and mow it often but high.
  5. yugin

yugin LawnSite Member

package suggested rate of seeding 13, I did it with about 13.5 or so.
  6. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, thanks. I would stay with what we have already talked about. Fertilize and mow and wait until Mid Sept to see if you need more seeding.