Just set a lawn on fire with my 21".

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTC1187, Mar 5, 2011.

1. GTC1187

GTC1187 LawnSite Member

Holy crap, I look down and the lawn is ablaze! Then I notice its from the hot exhaust on my HRC216 setting fire to the dry grass built up on top of the deck. Took me a minute to get it out and now there is a burned patch!

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Now that cheers me up. Nobody with a camera caught it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

"Yes Mrs. Jones, it seems I've er, umm... caught you lawn on fire. Can I come back and re-seed next week?" :D

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Well how tight did that butt pucker? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I know my Walker scares the heck out of me sometimes when doing leaves and some spills onto and behind the exaust when dumping and then you see small flames around the heat shield.

One nice thing about our warm season grass is that in a coulple of weeks that burnt spot will be the best looking grass in the lawn. :weightlifter:

5. GTC1187

GTC1187 LawnSite Member

Pretty damn tight I'll tell you what brother, I narrowly avoided sharting myself.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I've had the same thing happen to me on my Tiger Cub a few times when bagging leaves. Anymore, I just grab the hand held blower and blow it out. :blob2: :D

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

This thread needs Pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

must've been mowing pretty darn fast!

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

thats what happens when you mow too low
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

yea man that can get a little scary some times... one day i loaded a w/b in the bed of my truck, got a couple miles down the road and started smelling smoke i turned around looked threw the rear slide window and there was a little fire starting from grass in the bed from the exhaust...It sounds silly but its something from there on i have been more aware of.. i make it a point to blow off the machines every couple stops while im blowing off, it only takes a sec..

good lesson learned with little damage.. could have cost you a 7000 ztr