Just set my record...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PicturePerfectLawns, Jul 16, 2014.

1. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Now I now some of you in business for a long time have had days like this, but bare this is my first full "full-time" year, today I pushed out 20 lawns solo. I missed yesterday, (10) lawns, had (8 to do today) and I went ahead and rode it out until dark and pushed (2) more for tomm. since we're expecting heavy rain. As I said, I'm sure some of you've done it before, but I can say I don't think I would want to do that everyday. :hammerhead:

Now for you solo guys, what's the maximum number of lawns you feel comfortable doing per day, 5-days a week during the season, to stay comfortable, yet make livable wages.

2. 4slservices

4slservices LawnSite Member

Great job. Those long days can wear you out but sometimes i rather work 4 long days and take friday off to extend the weekend.
    It doesn't matter how many lawns you can do in a day. They could be townhouses or a few multi acre estates. My goal rather than how many lawns can I do in a day is rather how much revenue can I bill in a day. I have a goal per worker and I try to stick with it. If I don't have enough revenue to make that goal for 2 workers then I push the schedule a day and combine it with the next days work or have a long day for myself.

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I did 13 today - easy peasy lemon squeezy day - all small.

Other days I do 8 and I want to die.

Too many variables to toss out a number.

4. RSMUTAH

RSMUTAH LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Last year, I was beyond satisfied busting out 18 in a day with a helper.

This last Monday, I did 28 alone.

Major difference is drive time. I'm not in the truck for anything more than 5 minutes at a time this year. Last year I was driving 30 minutes between customers. As I grow, I'm able to become much more efficient than I imagined.

Either way, way to go!! I usually down 2 gallons of water on my mow days. That's my biggest concern. Number of gallons of water > number of customers serviced. Haha!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Agreed to all of post. It's all about revenue. :laugh: Now to the bad, I got half way through a half-mile stretch of HOA property edging a long, long sidewalk when it got pitch dark. :laugh: Not I have to get back there in there in the early morning before the storm hits. Maybe it will hit early so I don't have to blow all that mess off in the morning. :laugh:

I figure the same, after my first full year and second year, the longer I go, the more customers I pic up in my "route areas" the tighter my routes will get and the easier it will get. Not only do we pick up "tighter routes" over time, but we learn new things as we go. :laugh: I picked up two customers in an area where I didn't even advertise and I didn't even know the neighborhood existed and they are easy peasy lawns that take 20 minutes tops solo. Now I have a new marketing spot next year and the funny thing, I've yet to see another LCO in this little neighborhood. I just hope I can lock it down before they come strolling through. :laugh:

6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Too many variables, lawn size, equipment, terrain, drive time.

Though it appears you may be getting ready to up grade your mower department.

Also I like that you anticipate the rain and try to knock off some a day early. I do that my self.

Though I differ in that I do not mow on Fridays. My goal is 4 ten hour days Monday through Thursday. Fridays are for catching up whether delays are from rain or mechanical.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I bring in $500 mowing solo I feel I am going home a failure. My target is over $600 a day 4 days a week. Now that breaks down to 12-24 lawns a day depending on what I am mowing. My goal today will be 18-20 were see if thats doable shortly I'm a full day behind and we have had about 1.5 inches of rain in the last few days so despite it being July they are growing.

8. Tn Turf

Tn Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Heck, I think I'd be happy with about 10 per week right now!

9. ncd1966

ncd1966 LawnSite Member

im a part time lawn guy. I have a Monday - friday 8-5 job.

I can do 10-12 on a saturday solo. Probably more but I only have 12 customers. But thats all i need.

10. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Drive time is a HUGE difference.