Just snagged my first mowing accounts!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by apowell18, Nov 12, 2006.

1. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

hey fellas...I'm just so excited I couldn't help but post this...I just started this fall with aerating and whatnots...have not had one single call for mowing...this past week I've repaired a landscape edge and several aerating jobs and just bid another cleanup...I noticed at all the jobsites the homeowners already have an LCO (due to stripes in lawn)...Each customer asked when I was done what I would charge for mowing...I told them...each said they are locked in till the end of the year but thought my price was fair.

Here's where it gets good and think I have somewhat of an edge in this business...I told each customer I do not have them sign a contract (two of them were sold right then)...all of them were tired of "jose and pepe" not understanding English and want me to begin mowing inthe spring...

the fact that I do not have them under contract and speak the language seemed to really excite all of them...two of them know that everyone on their streets are unhappy with the same guys and want as many business cards as possible sent to them to hand out to everyone...

do any of you guys run into the language issue with new customers?? Or is this just an anomale?

2. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never run into the language problem but I have many times had people telling me that the companies qaulity it very low and they just want to get rid of them. However the fact that they were very happy you did not have them on a contract worries me a little. . . It may be nothing at all but usualy I would think that they have an idea that they can try and rip you off or replace you whenever they want to.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well afaik it really doesn't matter, contract or not.

I figure if a customer is going to take advantage of you, they'll do it contract or not.
    If you're not on a contract, they try and postpone each cut as long as they can.
    If you are on a contract, they make sure to get every dime out of it by constantly asking for stuff that wasn't in the contract. Oh suuuure you can charge them extra, uh-huh, right. :laugh:

So either way, it's all the same thing.

I've never used a contract, no that is not true: I've had two in 5 years who HAD to have a contract... One I made out like a bandit, the other one I got raped pretty good... As much as it sounds like I broke even, I personally feel like I lost on both, and will NOT fool with another contract ever again.

Meanwhile, the guys who swear by contracts have at least as many horror stories concerning per cut.

So to each their own, you gotta do what works for you.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on getting a couple new customers. I have run into it a few times where a customer dos'nt like having a huge company out on there property with a ton of non english speaking people. They like smaller companies where they are treated like a person, not an account number.

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Dont get your hopes up when someone tells you that the whole street is unhappy. I've been told this many times before in these newer developments. You sign the original caller and may get 1 referral. Most of the people want to see what kind of work they will be getting with you before they call. They make sure the original caller is happy over the summer and may ask you for a business card for the following year. Good luck out there and make as much money as you can.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You get your first customer when they pay you. You can not bank a promise. So keep plugging away, As some have said-- do not get your hopes up, Your advantage will be high quality work. Not a language
    You will hear many stories about how the "other" companys do bad work and how they are unhappy-- It is a very easy way to start a conversation about what you charge. And the answer of "It's good but we are locked in" means it is not good.