1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

just some personal work

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Kumi, May 8, 2006.

1. Kumi

Kumi LawnSite Member

Eh..it's not much but i thought i'd post some of my recent work at my (Parent's) house. My mom and i just picked up the rose bush today and i planted it for her and mulched around it. The tree and other bush were obviously already there. I just mulched around those to make trimming easier and to make our lawn look better.

My mom bought more flowers but i can't plant them tonight because it's too dark now to see. I'll post more better photos tommorow along with one of my whole yard. it's not much now but i may can convince her to let me put in a nice new cement driveway for her then that'll really make things look better (Along with some weed killer)

For now i'm really pleased with the improvement to our lawn :clapping:

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

nice looking job, just be vary careful about trimming!!!!!! You should have put some edging around it outside of the mulch JMO:waving:
  3. Kumi

Kumi LawnSite Member

Are you talking about the rose bush? I feel sure i can trim around it without doing damage except for between it and the house. For that i'll just use some scissors since it's a small spot. I've never had any customers who wanted mulch so this is my first time mulching. Thanks for the compliment.
  4. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

You need to work on your mulching a bit, you dont want to build the mulch up around tree's and bushes and such. It causes rotting to them. Try to also have some sort of edge on the mulch as well. Either a natural edge, or a plastic strip or something, makes mowing and such a lot easier.
  5. Kumi

Kumi LawnSite Member

I'll work on that. Like i mentioned this is my first time doing mulch so i'm not incredibly good at it. Here's some more better pictures after i added stuff today. We still have to go out tommorow and pick up at least a few more bags of mulch and a couple more flowers. No clue what we'll add next.

6. Kumi

Kumi LawnSite Member

More photos

7. Kumi

Kumi LawnSite Member

Last Ones.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Bless your heart......................
  9. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Let me clarify. I think this is what GRASSMANAK was getting at. You don't want mulch piled against the trunk of any plants (although it can be 1/4 inch or so deep where it contacts the plant) If you pile mulch against the trunk, too much moisture can lead to rotting of the trunk and a host of other problems that can lead to death. I like to spread mulch so that it is .25 to .5 inches deep at the plant and then gradually get deeper and deeper until about 2.5 to 3 inches around the dripline of the plant (ends of the branches) And I don't typically use bed edging. I don't care for it in most situations.
    Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with this. Good luck to you!!!:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

And I like your thinking, by the way. Trying to keep trimmers off of the plants and trees by using mulch. Very good! When you mulch around several plants, try to aim for a defined bed edge with the mulch. This will really make your plantings pop visually.
  10. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

im not a big fan of that mulch it looks like playground mulch. hope it wasn't cheap mulch because the hurricane they brought mulch from there.