1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

just some quoting opinions on ripping shrubs out.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jasonlandscape, Jan 13, 2008.

1. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

i got a house where i'm goin to be ripping out several azaelas, boxwood hollys, and then making about 4 of the tall 10ft hollies into tree/mushroom shapes. then i gotta grade out the front bed and extend it around the fir tree. also that fir tree, can it be pruned up or should i leave the branches all the way down?

basically everything in these pics are going to be ripped out except the trees and tall hollies.

i know about how much its gonna cost, just wanted more opinions than my own.

theres 2 more holies to be shaped on side of house and another row of boxwoods to be ripped out
    property is about 10 miles away
    gonna rent a dingo with attachments and a chipper
    everything is goin to be hauled off by trailer
    everything is goin to be prepped to plant new plantings.. cultivated/raked

i don't need any exact estimates...just say oh around 2000 or somethin...not like 2235.12 lol

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd use a loader w/ some forks & dig right under then to pop them out. I'd guess somewhere around 2 grand also. Pics help, but ya know...
  3. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

there are 3 pics there. or are u sayin my pics do help?
  4. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Several things you have to do to get that job done...

1. Rip out the shrubs
    2. Dig up as much of the roots as you can
    3. Grind it up
    4. Haul it off
    5. Dispose of it somewhere, somehow
    6. Fix the beds for new stuff

Two grand sounds like the right ballpark. Depends on how much the hauling is going to set you back. This looks like it would take maybe three days to get it all done and pretty lookin. I'd say 2100 + hauling / disposal. But then again, hard to say exactly without being there, meeting the people, etc...
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I was saying they do help. Pics are always better than nothing, but still not as good as in person. Know what I'm saying?
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How far are you hauling the material? If it isn't too far you might could get away w/ not renting the chipper. I think you could get everything ripped out and pruned in one day w/ 2-3 guys. Probably take a day to the removal and another day for clean-up and prep. $1500-2000

A skid loader would definately pop thoses things right up, but I think he would have some turf damage.
  7. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

i'm renting a dingo...you think that will pop em up?
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Yeah I think a dingo will do it just fine. I use about a 6' chain to rip them out. I wrap one end around the trunk of the shrub and just hook the other end to the bucket. I would try to rent a tracked dingo... much easier to operate and less turf damage.
  9. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm curious about using the dingo for that shrub removal. I have never used one or anything like it (I just do lawns). Does it have enough leverage for large shrub removal? And if so, how strong are they actually?
  10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

That dingo isnt going to do crap on those shrubs. You are going to need a good size 4x4 tractor or a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull all that up. If you plan on pulling those hollys up then for get it. Cut them down with a chain saw and get a stump grinder. Those hollys will have some hella of some roots on them!!