just sprayed need help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikeshere89, May 6, 2003.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i sprayed my lawn five days ago, with mec amine-d, (trimec basically) anyways althou it is in the process of turning the weeds brown i notice new dandelions popping up, i dont understand this, shouldnt it stop this from happening and where is the residual affect?

2. mikeshere89

from iowa

i forgot to add that i mowed three days afterwards and we had quite a bit of rain the day after i sprayed.

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

The chemical that you applied is a post -emergent. It controls weeds that are already emerged and growing. Pre-emergent will keep them from "popping up" (germinating).

4. mikeshere89

from iowa

i did a pre m about a month ago, should i wait a couple of weeks and apply again?

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

If a pre-emergent was applied then you should not be having weeds "pop-up". What did you apply, and how much?

6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Also keep in mind that some pre emergents don't stop perennial weeds, only those germinating from seed. Check your labels.

7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

pre emergence won't stop new dandelions from "popping up" now because dandelions don't germinate until fall and if not mistaken don't head out until in the second year. Either you didn't get a complete coverage and missed a few or you didn't properly apply and some got by the app. Look at the leaves and see if they are starting to wilt or turn purple. I also have noticed a few times if there is a head that hasn't opened and the plant was sprayed it will cause it to open and look like you missed it. Check the leaves and reapply according to directions, some labels gives time frames for reapps.

8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

If properly applied and at the right time(s) of the year pre-emergent crabgrass control does a great job for what it is intended...controlling crabgrass and a few other grassy weeds. While some labels of various pre-emergents do "mention" broadleaf control, you will notice that very few claims are made beyond fair or even poor control. Just like the much-touted early tiller stages of crabgrass being controlled with Dimension (wow I can spray almost a whole week more) all pre-emerge products have limits and are designed that way. Get a post emerge and get the timing right. Broadleafs are generally easy to control.