Just started and need some help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mikemprep, May 14, 2008.

1. Mikemprep

Mikemprep LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, im new to these forums. This year is my first year as a business and I have about 50 lawns as of right now. I have 2 push mowers and i would like to upgrade to a bigger one. I do not have alot of money at all right so i was thinking the billy goat 33" finish mower just to start out because this is pretty much all i can afford right now. Does anyone have one of these or know anything about them?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Look at the Better Quick 36" , http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com... they are pretty popular on the forum. do a search there has been plenty of posts about them. Welcome to LawnSite.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

50 lawns just starting out? Is this BIGW?! isnt he from the same town in PA? lol...

4. DR LAWN AND LANDSCAPE

DR LAWN AND LANDSCAPE LawnSite Member

50 lawns and just starting, sounds like your off to a good start. Equipment will make or brake you. You may not think you can afford a good quality mower but bite the bullet because it will pay off in no time, esp when you buy a cheaper unit and the first breakdown cost you a couple days work.

The quick is the most well built and durable for the money on the market.

5. Mikemprep

So is the quickie 32 good because the 36 one is still out of my price range. Im just trying to make some money first because later on i can get a 36" exmark for about $2,500, but push mowers right now arent cutting it.

6. Mikemprep

All i need is a bigger mower to use for about a year so thats why i was thinking the billy goat

7. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Your wasting your time. With 50 accounts you should be able to easily afford a new or slightly used mower from a dealership.. FINANCE it and pay it off in 3 months.

The only way you couldn'd afford this is that your charging waaay to little for the lawns.

With those 50 lawns, how much per week are you pulling in?

8. Mikemprep

About 1000 but their is 2 of us so like 500 maybe a little less

9. Mikemprep

But i did not have to much money to begin with since i am 16

10. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Your living at home right? If you really want to help yourself out, go buy a 36" or 48" walkbehind.. I can probally get you a Scag 36" belt drive for less than $2000 with low hrs - 2004, w/bagger

The ONLY thing you should worry about is keeping your customers and making a little in the beginning. Save $250 or $300 a week and you'd be set.
    The only money you should be spending is on gas. SAVE SAVE SAVE.
    In the long run the right equipment will allow you to finish those 50 lawns in half the time.

Again just my opinion.