Just started. Need advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by conger, Feb 23, 2007.

1. conger

conger LawnSite Member

I just started my buisness in northwest Florida. I put an ad in the paper that will run for one month. Was that a good idea, or how do you guys suggest getting clients? So far, I have a 36" Scag walk-behind, a 28cc Stihl power head with the trimmer and edger attachments, and an old beatup backpack blower. What other essentials do I need to start out with? Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. bladelawn

bladelawn LawnSite Member

You could go door to door for residential. Also, cold call places such as apartment complexes, townhomes, hotels, businesses, and such. I have never advertised in the paper, so I dont know how that will work out, but it never hurts.

3. Jazzy

Jazzy LawnSite Member

as annoying as they may be, think about flyers in a target area

4. McCallum & Sons

McCallum & Sons LawnSite Member

Most of your business will come from word of mouth. direct mail will only get you about 2% return and most of them will be tire kickers just trying to find the lowest price. Yellow page ads are expensive for new guys, but can be beneficial. Offer a discount to current customers if they refer you to a friend resulting in a sale. I started offerering a deal to current customers a couple of years ago. If they got 5 people on their street to sign on as a contract customer, I offered their contract for free. It worked out great. They acted almost like a salesperson for me, I kept all of my customers close so their was less travel time. It worked out for everyone.

5. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Flyers are a relatively inexpensive route for advertising. This way, you can target certain areas and possibly talk to a few potential customers face to face. I have had good luck with this so far. My advertising plan is going one step further this year by advertising in a local newsletter that targets certain zip codes that I am interested in.
    :walking:

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't need a business phone number to get into the yellow pages?

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I lived in Northeast Florida (Palm Coast) and I got great results advertising in the Pennysaver . I got a small double ad. It was cheap and very effective.

8. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

1. Big, wrap-around safety sunglasses that filter out 99% of the UV light.

2. Ear muffs or ear plugs.

3. Gloves.

4. First aid kit.

5. Fire extinguisher.

6. Water for drinking and also for flushing your eyes out.

7. Emergency contact info on the front page of your mileage log.

These are a few. Who can think of some other essesntials?

9. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Think about adding a hedge trimmer. Most of your clients will want some of that type of trim work or you can pick up extra work.

10. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

soft rake,hardRake,round shovel,flat shovel,air tank,tire plugs,hand prunners,loppers,pole prunner,2 cycle can,regular gas can,trash bags,bucket,tie straps,tarp,fert spreader,sprayer