1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Just Started, need jobs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jpquinn99, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jpquinn99

Jpquinn99 LawnSite Member

This is my first year in the buisness and i need help with marketing late in the season. I am only 14 so i dont have a truck or a trailer but i have a commercial walk-behind. I have tried flyers but no outcome. Any advice for the new guy?

2. beachtownlawnservice

beachtownlawnservice LawnSite Member

If you can afford it place a ad in your local paper.

also you can post a ad for free on craigslist, (farm&garden) services offerd section.

i get alot of calls from craigslist.

3. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Without a truck you are pretty much restricted to your particular location. Keep making flyers. Ever notice how you get a pizza restaurant door hanger then get another one about a month later? Do that. Keep your name out there.

Also, expect a 1% callback ratio. So if you hang out 100 flyers, expect 1 person to call you, but do not expect that 1 person to be a for sure sign up.

4. Cleveland M&M

Cleveland M&M LawnSite Member

Be patient but actively market your business. Keep putting the flyer's out there and focus on the accounts you already have. Word of mouth and neighbor recommendations are the best. You can build a good customer base without having to travel just by providing a better service than the guy next door.

5. airsoft1779

airsoft1779 LawnSite Member

I started just like you when I was 14. My first season I maybe had 10 mowing jobs that season. Next season I had 6 every week. This year I have 13 weekly accounts, 3 of them full time. I think your biggest advertising thing is to get 2 or 3 testomonys from on your first 3 clients and put them on the flier. Put you'll full name and all the services you offer. and this is all in my neighborhood, I dont have a truck or trailer either, but have the money saved up to buy one and a zero turn mower when im old enough.