Just started using Hi-lift blades - GREAT!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carcrz, Jun 7, 2006.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

After reading about striping, I couldn't figure out why my lawns wouldn't stripe like the ones shown here. Apparently, my Ferris mowers all came w/ standard lift blades when I bought them 4 years ago. I ordered a couple sets just to try them out. I wish I would have tried them years ago. Man, what a difference they make in the quality of the cut & the striping.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think hi-lifts are the way to go. You should notice better discharging as well.

3. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you get these high-lifts? I've been to two dealers and neither one had them. One dealer said yes and gave me a set of blades that had the same lift as the ones that came on the mower. Mine's an eXmark though.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

oregonchain.com or most mower dealer (I thought :hammerhead: )

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Most Exmark's come with high lifts if I'm not mistaken.

6. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I just keep getting the ones that came on it. It's a 52" trivantage deck. It's kind of a medium lift, but I could be wrong. Not what I would picture as a high-lift.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

go to oregon chain & search for a local dealer. ALso, print off the applicable blades for your mower so they won't have to search for the part #'s. I ended up tracking down the #'s so I could order them through Lesco.

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a set of high-lifts last week and used them once. They literally threw grass about 30' and with the ocdc in down position created more blowout. The blades have the lift of a 747 and sound like it too. I think I like the medium lifts better but the verdict is still out. I used aprox 1 gal more fuel that day on 14 yrds. So if the cut is marginal I will save the fuel expense over having high-lifts. Just my .o2 stupids Good Luck!!!

9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I run the high lifts on my Kubota...and i also think that there great.
    I have now ordered a mulching kit for that 72" deck...I,m wondering what kind of lift the mulching blades will have.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Your Exmark dealer can get them if he wants. Call J-Thomas or go to J-Thomas .com and you can get some pretty good high lift blades for around $9. I have used them against Exmark blades and could tell no difference in cut or wear. One set the paint wore off some gators and it had Oregon stamped on the blade. Oregon in another place to try. Hope this helps.