Just starting and need some help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BdBLandscaping, Jun 8, 2006.

1. BdBLandscaping

BdBLandscaping LawnSite Member

Im going to be useing just a push mower and my weed eater for now..just summin to start out with..would i be making a mistake or not?Will ppl laugh at me?:)

2. jd1513

jd1513 LawnSite Member

who cares what they think-if you're making money you're making money! i started with a push mower as well...just be sure to get your license etc. and not to step on anyone's toes ya know.

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Many folks start out that way. One guy around here started that way and now has 40 - 50 (guessing) employees. What are you going to use to clean up the clippings(walkways/driveways etc.)?

4. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

First off who cares what others think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second of all... Your starting with a 21" so... now you know what lawns you should be targeting... Small postage stamp size! They are very profitable with the set up your talking about.

I would suggest getting a blower, handheld works for now if thats all you can afford.

Everyone is always worried what people will think or what people might say... Forget them... let them talk. You do what you have to do to survive.

I would however recommend insurance and anything else you need in your area. It's for your own good.

All Clear

5. guven

guven LawnSite Member

You are going good, I started like that. but I think you need blower. at thi begining I did not get blower, I was sweeping the walkways and driveways, it was taking a lot of time, when I got my hand blower from sears, I was thinking I did the best, I was very happy.Blowers save time and do good job.

6. BdBLandscaping

BdBLandscaping LawnSite Member

We have an electric blower, I just forgot to add that!

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's cool but I would seriously consider getting the Stihl bg-55 handheld blower for 150'ish and get the flat-tip nozzle that goes on the bg-65 for 10 dollars extra - The bg-55 and the bg-65 have the same cc engine, only difference appears to be in the nozzle, and the price.

I love my bg-55, right-handed I hold it by the handle and if my right arm gets tired, I set the cruise control and the bottom frame has a loop so then I hold it upside down with my left hand and it runs, and runs, and runs. Yup, upside down, sideways, even when I fart it doesn't complain.

That way you're not always dealing with the extension cord and trying to find an outlet, but we all have to start somewhere, an electric blower is better than a broom, and yes some people that is all they have is a broom, so you'll be fine.

8. All_Clear

I'd suggest getting a gas powered blower for 2 reasons....

1.) not ever customer is going to have an outlet for you to tap into outside, some wont like the idea anyhow, people can be very finicky.

2.) You'll be so much faster, then having to lug out the cord, find power, un-knot the d@mn cord over and over... It's just so much easier and faster.

All Clear

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

* laughs hystericly *

10. All_Clear

Oh thats right you started with all the good expensive stuff... Gimme a break.

Whats to laugh at... The person asked for help.... rather then laugh, trying helping or post your useless garbage in the off topic part of the forum like everyone else!