just starting fertilizer business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by naturesgreen, Mar 18, 2005.

1. naturesgreen

naturesgreen LawnSite Member

I just opened my company Nature's Green this year and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for me. I've been in the fertilizing business for 3 years now. In may I am graduating from Michigan State and can finally devote my time to my business. Since I go to school full time I really haven't had the time or money to do a lot of advertising, and don't have that many customers yet. I was wondering if there was any efficient way to advertise while I'm still in school. Thanks. Andrew
  2. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Conrats on your business and soon graduation there. I don't have any help, but I have a question. I just took the pesticide and ornamental turf exam a couple of days ago. I didn't think I would have a problem, but there were some questions that kind of blew my mind away on the ornamental turf, which I thougt I would be fine, I studied for it, the class didn't cover much of the questions on the test, any advice in case I didn't pass on where I can get the info needed to study besides the books from the extensions office that I have?
  3. naturesgreen

naturesgreen LawnSite Member

the best study guide is the blue guide you get from the michigan state university extension offfice. However I think that when you take the test at the MDA there are some questions that aren't even mentioned in the book, which doesn't make much sense to me. I suggesting looking of MSU's extension web site if you needed further info.
  4. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

Write a story or press release about your company and send it to a local newspaper. Papers, if accepted, will run the story for free! They may even want to interview you with the angle: "college student burns candle at both ends to start new company."
    Or interview yourself so everything is correct.