just starting in business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by precisionlawn, Dec 30, 2002.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Im just starting this year in the lawn care business, just the basic mow, trim edge, blow biz. to start. Im curious as the the paperwork. Not only for the customers, but legal paperwork as well. If anyone can give me info on them it would be greatly appreciated. And if you can give me any dos and donts that come with this business. Thank you

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Your best bet would be to invest an hour or so with a CPA and the same with an attorney (business) preferably. You will find in the long run the money and time will be wisely invested.

Trust me.

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

also try the local small business office

4. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

You will need to get a business license for your local City Hall or County office. Most CPA's will require you to have the business license.
    You will also need to get some liability insurance to cover any accidents or injurys. Most companies receive a $500,000.00 or $1,000,000.00 policy to cover these cases. This will cost at least $250.00 for the $500,000.00. Insurance will be needed if you try to get some commerical account. They require that you have a license and insurance.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

BarryD - on that $500,000 policy is that $250 per year?
    Thanks,
    Eric

6. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Yes, it only cost me $250.00 per year. I am using one of our local insurance agent.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thanks Barry! :)

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Try using a tax attorney. The one that I use seems to know tax laws better than the CPA I was using. Also anything said between you and him is in confidence (client/lawyer).

9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

you are getting raped. i have 2 mil liability and 10K theft for $350/year.

10. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Jason, who is your policy with and what does the theft cover?