just starting in spring '04

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by firedog2710, Oct 14, 2003.

1. just grass

just grass LawnSite Member

firedog, looked over your thread, i started earlier this year , i bought one of everything , my net purchase will probably be a z-rider. The only thing is that its been slow getting new accounts, i have use signs and door hangers, and even have door signs on my truck. Being that i don't do it full time i consider that another reason why i don't have so many accounts. I invested about 4000 in equipment including trailer. Good luck to you

2. just grass

firedog, looked over your thread, i started earlier this year , i bought one of everything , my net purchase will probably be a z-rider. The only thing is that its been slow getting new accounts, i have use signs and door hangers, and even have door signs on my truck. Being that i don't do it full time i consider that another reason why i don't have so many accounts. I invested about 4000 in equipment including trailer. Good luck to you

3. just grass

4. just grass

GUys sorry about my reply my computer was left unlocked and i guess someone here at the firestation decide to be funny. again sorry about all the repeated post.

5. firedog2710

firedog2710 LawnSite Member

i have $4000 to invest and it's all pretty much spoken for in equipment including a 5X10 trailer. there might be a little left for advertising. this weekend i talked to a toro dealer and if the price is right, i think i'm gonna to buy form him. i do plan on strictly mowing, not bagging, unless someone insists (then i figure i'll charge almost double to discourage it). i am pulling with a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with a class III hitch. my local dealer also told me that toro owns exmark (thay do look an awful lot alike. there is a good dealer to service any make of lawnmower around here, so it is really a matter of who can give me the best deal. my backups right now will be my 22" craftsman push mower and my poulan gas trimmer (my home equipment). i am alsoo having trouble trying to figure out what to charge. i thought i'd try calling a few companies around here and asking what they charge for a typical yard like mine (1/2 acre, level front, downhill rear and sides) and going from there. btw, what does everybody think about redmax trimmers and blowers, thanks again for the help guys. :D

6. firedog2710

well, i finally bought some equipment. i now own a redmax BC225DL trimmer, a redmax HB2300 blower, and a toro 48" belt-drive WB with a fixed deck and a 15 hp kawasaki pulling a two-wheel velke. i'm not picking up the mower until after halloween because i don't have a trailer yet and we are having a huge halloween party and need the garage space. what do you guys think?

7. firedog2710

while i was thinking about it i wanted to know what you guys thought i should get for spares and supplies. i already have an extra set of blades, reel of trimmer line, extra trimmer head, spark plugs, fuel cans, and 2-cycle oil worked into my budget. what do you guys think about trimmertrap and/or jungle gym equipment racks? my dealer sells both. thanks in advance everyone.:help:

8. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i built my own , materials from home depot cost me about 50$.

i had enough to build a 3 station trimmer rack, backpack blower rack, and a water cooler rack. i can send pics but it will be a day or 2

9. gumball1

gumball1 LawnSite Member

Firedog,who did you get your equipment from I'm looking at either Millbrandt lawn equipment (next to C.C.F.D.) or Harvester small engine. P. S. Thanks for keeping St L burn free.

10. firedog2710

i bought everything at affton lawn equipment. all the dealers that i dealt with were all about the same price. lol.