just starting in spring '04

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by firedog2710, Oct 14, 2003.

1. JarrodsDad

JarrodsDad LawnSite Member

I dont' see anyone suggesting purchasing of power rakes or aerators as equipment for a new business. Why is that?

I thought there was good money in providing those services?

2. firedog2710

firedog2710 LawnSite Member

at this point, i just want to get started and acquire a customer base and not have a bunch of overhead to pay for.

3. JarrodsDad

JarrodsDad LawnSite Member

Having specialty services can help expand the customer base and increase income. It is a sure way to get your foot in the door to offer follow up or maintainence services too. You can make more per hour power raking/aerating than mowing/trimming.

The LCO's here tell me that they are able to pay off an aerator in less than a months work - even less time for a power rake! These services are also an impulse buy so they are able to get away with charging a higher price. Mowing is not the same.

Your thoughts?

Jarrodsdad

4. firedog2710

firedog2710 LawnSite Member

at this point, i don't want to, in a sense, overexpand. this is a sole proprietership. i will not have any employees, so i will be the only one doing any work. even though i haven't cut one lawn with my toro yet, i am not opposed to purchasing a power rake and/or aerator if any of my future customers ask about them. the other thing is the cost. the equipment i listed below (exc. for the truck) was purchased with cash because i don't want to have to go out and pay off a loan. this also means that most of the money i make will be profit (exc. fuel, insurance, etc.), so some additional equipment could be in my future.

5. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought myself a HONDA COMMERCIAL - HRC216KHXC mowER. This mower is impressive, I like it :)

I will be buying a Honda trimmer, Stihl backpack-blower, and shindawia hedge trimmers.