Just starting in the biz.........

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Phatkat72, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Phatkat72

Phatkat72 LawnSite Member

Hello guys I will be starting fresh in the biz as of tomorrow I am a 23 yr old male that has a great head on his shoulders I have just about 3 mowers 3 weed eaters and 2 blowers. I have 2 guys and myself that work together. We will be hitting up the streets and see what we can come up with I will get you know how it goes just wish me luck. Does anyone have a certain way to advertise like what should my pitch be to them help me out if you can. Thanks

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

who is the boss, and who is the employee..... who is paying the workes comp, soc sec, taxes..... doesnt sound very organized .. did you do a business plan, do you have insurance, do you have homeowners equipment....commercial plates for vehicals and trailor...

3. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

congrats phatkat. i hate when someone posts that they are trying to start up and a more seasoned veteran kinda dumps on them because they don't have every detail setup. i understand that the veterans are trying to help, but give the guy some encouragement. don't you remember when you were starting up?

none the less, just let your potential customers know that you are starting a lawncare company and you would like their business. you might have to lower your price for your first few customers. but do a good job (under promise, over deliver) and you will more than likely get plenty of referrals. try printing up some flyers so when the customers aren't there you can leave them in the door, it's not very effective, but sometimes it works. and be sure to split up, ie., don't all go door to door together, each of you should take a neighborhood.....3 times more effective! remember, never quit advertising. have your name logo and phone number painted on your truck, if you can't afford that, just have a printing company print up some magnets you can put on your truck.

good luck

4. daveintoledo

5. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

well put dave, i appreciate the explanation

6. CHRIS MELROSE

CHRIS MELROSE LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

He should just do a search on his question and find the 500 different threads that pertain to it.

7. Phatkat72

Well you what I came to this fourm because it seemed like everyone was very helpful. But I guess its not like that at all yes I have all I need to run the biz I used to have a car audio shop so I know what kinda insurence I need and everything else I just wanted some encouragement but dont look like I got it here but from one person so just forget it MAN!!!

8. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

Hold on, Hold on, not so fast

I am just starting out too. I read as many post as possible in refrence to the questions I have for startup. If I don't find answers, I ask. Yes, you will get some yahoo's, but for the most part, it's all good!! As far as encouragement, I need it too,but it comes from family. I look to this forum for info and I find good info. There is alot I am finding out doing my business plan. Questions I have to ask myself, I am forced to answer. It really makes you think. So, don't get discouraged with some of the responses, it only really matters what you think.

Jake

9. daveintoledo

oh, ok, you are great you will do wonderful, your making all the right decisions......

i give honest truthful answers to questions asked, and if i see something between the lines, i will ask you about it...

you can learn alot here.... but as far as encouragment goes..... thats up to you... just because you dont get the answer you want, you think someone must be being a jerk....NO its the honest helpful person who will tell you the truth even if its not what you want to hear..

and my assessment of your question stands, im shure you not going to be a fly by night , illegal lawn care company.... but the way you stated it leaves some doubt/////

now think, at 23, you have had a car sereo company, obviously that didnt work out... why....

how will this business be different then your last attempt...

by planning, (me and a couple of guys, and a couple of mowers), business plan, marketing strategy, did you investigate weiher there is room in your area for another lawn care company...

and yes, if you have employees, (you cant all be the boss) who is inccharge, with the final work... who is paying the workers comp, and all that i mentioned before..

almost sounds like your mad that i noticed you didnt plan for any of that stuff...

good luck...
    :drinkup:

10. Phatkat72

My car audio shop did work out I just got tired of it and sold the shop with all equipment and name for a pretty penny so I made out good on that just wanted a different feel in life and decided to do this.