1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

just starting out and want to share my progress

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Byerley, Feb 12, 2014.

1. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice set up, you're being smart and putting in the effort.

First year I ended with 5 yards. Now in my third and have around 40. It snowballs and gets easier
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

If your a little handy, you can save a bundle...New stuff is nice...used stuff can carry you a long way
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Byerley

Byerley LawnSite Member

The only thing I got new was my mower. Everything else I got used from Craigslist and pawn shops.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Byerley

Byerley LawnSite Member

So I am working a estimate to redo these peoples yard and I wanted to know what you guys wid bid this job at. They want pond cleanded and running ( all pumps work checked them while I was there) Also all the flower beds cleaned plus the lawn leveled and reseeded I figure that I will bring in 4yds of 4way soil about 3yds of bark dust

2014-06-15 10.37.01.jpg

2014-06-15 10.37.04.jpg

2014-06-15 10.37.08.jpg

2014-06-15 10.37.10.jpg

2014-06-15 10.37.15.jpg

2014-06-15 10.38.49.jpg

2014-06-15 10.38.52.jpg

2014-06-15 10.39.02.jpg
  5. AllSeasonsLandscape

AllSeasonsLandscape LawnSite Member

If you have experience doing this type of work than the way I would go about bidding that job is 1st decide how many hours the job will take you, then multiply that by $40/hr. Next figure up your material costs and multiply that by 1.5. If you don't have much experience, than I would bill out at a lower rate so that you can get the job and more experience.
  6. Braves17

Braves17 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I always go with my gut and overbid. I picture myself doing each thing and how long it will take me. I also estimate and charge 60 per man hour and multiply my costs by 112%. So I do have some wiggle room. But I am lucky and have 2 employees that work as hard as I do!
  7. Byerley

Byerley LawnSite Member

So since I have started I have been working 40 plus hours at my full time job and on my three days off been work on growing my business. I have out grown those three days and I am not able to get any more days off at my job. Would you guys make the push to full time landscaping or hold off
  8. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hold off for this year at least. What do you do in the winter? Keep in mind that the customers you have this year, you may not have next year. Keep advertising 24/7, 365 a year.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. yardsmowed

yardsmowed LawnSite Senior Member

Following your thread. Looks like you got a great start. Hard work always pays off. Do good honest work and you will be covered up with clients soon. Best of luck to you!
  10. Byerley

Byerley LawnSite Member

Thanks for such nice words.